Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taken the jump into Bows

Taken the jump into Bows

Well, did two semi private lessons at Boormans and have picked up a PSE Vision (60lb). Here we go again. Another thing to sink money and passions into! .... Now I have to get a target so I can start working on the sights.
    Anyone have any 28" arrows suitable for practicing with. I got a dozen carbon ones, would rather not beat them up right away... But will.
    Thanks to Dean at Hub for setting me up.

James

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Taken the jump into Bows

Practice with the arrows that you plan on hunting with. Start close. 5 yards close.

Another good trick to save arrows some what is to leave them long. The same length you get them when you buy them. Practice with them at this length until you become proficient to 50 yards and then trim them down to the proper length. I recommend this because as you practice if you miss and damage the arrow you can generally trim them down to your proper length and use them again. All you have to do is buy more inserts.
    Have gas will travel

your going to break arrows. practice with what you plan to hunt with. start at 5-10 yards and aim at different points so you don't break knocks. it wont take long and you'll be able to hit the bag consistently at 20 yards. get a couple bales of hay so you have a bigger backstop if you do miss. the hay wont stop the arrows but should slow them down enough that they don't break.

Practice with what you will hunt with. Cut them to the proper size. Even if you are using sites changing arrow length will affect both flight (spine) and site picture.

Have fun. Every arrow is meant to be lost, eventually...

If you are woking on form I suggest incorporating both blind and blank bale shooting at a 2-3 yards. This will help with repeatable form.

Then practice 10, 15, 20 and so on.

Read or google some videos on form and good alignment and you will start off better than most.
    Last edited by firstlight; 04-16-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Once your set up its really not that pricey. Unlike rifle hunting, it costs you nothing to go practice... As long as you don't miss! The only thing I have bought last couple years is broad heads. And the only arrows I wreck are on animals. Which I don't mind doing!

Have fun. And start close.

Just to clear the air. I am an avid archer and bow hunter. I do understand the importance of proper arrow length or the arrow length you will be hunting with and how it changes the arrow flight, sight picture, etc.... but when I first started some 10 years ago I trimmed my arrows to proper length and practiced lots. When I missed I would generally break the first couple of inches of the shaft. I went through a lot of arrows as I didn't have access to hay and practiced in a gravel pit with good back stops. If I left the arrows long I could trim them down and use them again, this of course was once I was well practiced and ready to shoot the arrows at proper length. This would have saved me a lot of arrows and money in the beginning. This works very good while you work on form, anchor points and just getting familiar with the bow. This is also my humble opinion for a beginner but if you have deep pockets cut them down right out of the gate. This also gives one good experience for sighting in a bow and learning how to re tune it as things change. The more you know the easier the sport is and will save you money in the long run. I am now at the point where I can shoot out to 60 yards on an animal at those are the only arrows I damage like Caribou_lou. Also this trick of leaving the arrows long also saves arrows if you decide to try 3D shoots where you are not allowed to use a range finder. Again this is my humble opinion that I have learnt from experience and an empty pocket book.

At the end of the day it is about having fun and meeting some great people who have the same passion as you.
    Have gas will travel

Hey Phoneguy , join a squad at a local 3-d shoot . Judging distance is 90% and 10% percent is carring out the proper form and shot . Be the last to shoot and prior to launching an arrow express your yardage estimate , the squad will be in agreement or school you on the real distance . That way you learn how to judge those critical distances and not lose or brake arrows all good .
    Good luck on your archery adventure .....
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Knockturnal we never shot that close when we shot with Mystic ...OH that was with the rifles....My Bad
    I had a thought one day,,,,then it was gone. I'm sure the Wife was there.......

I haven't gotten into hunting yet but I picked up a long bow last July with 10 arrows and only just broke #10 the other day. I don't know if that's a good ratio or not but I shoot basically every other day.
    Last edited by clte; 04-21-2014 at 01:09 AM.