Thread: Turkey Hunting/gear

Turkey Hunting/gear

hey guys im planning on giving turkey hunting a try this year up in the Okanagan. ive talked about it with my uncle for a few years now but hes always working out of town and wont be around for the spring season again.
    don't worry im not here to ask exactly where to go to get into your sacred turkey spot.
    I have a couple spots lined up to go and hunt and ive also talked to a few guys ive met out in the hills as well as in town up in Kelowna.
    (ive been told to take anything other hunters say with a grain of salt as well lol) I'll probably combine it with a black bear hunting trip if I can get my buddy to tag along but who knows. turkey is my main focus as ive never done it before.
    anyways, im looking for info on what gear I should have. ive got the camo (I hear its pretty important for turkeys...but could be wrong) and the shotgun, but what about a call and decoys? what calls are you guys using and should I bother with a decoy for this year or what? im thinking towards a box call, but as usual there is a whole wack to choose from it seems. any input would be great.
    thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Hunting/gear

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjeff719 View Post
    hey guys im planning on giving turkey hunting a try this year up in the Okanagan. ive talked about it with my uncle for a few years now but hes always working out of town and wont be around for the spring season again.
    don't worry im not here to ask exactly where to go to get into your sacred turkey spot.
    I have a couple spots lined up to go and hunt and ive also talked to a few guys ive met out in the hills as well as in town up in Kelowna.
    (ive been told to take anything other hunters say with a grain of salt as well lol) I'll probably combine it with a black bear hunting trip if I can get my buddy to tag along but who knows. turkey is my main focus as ive never done it before.
    Anywhere in the Grand Forks and Christina Lake area is decent to good turkey hunting. You'll have to content with a lot of hunters and spooky birds. But as a newcomer to turkey hunting you always want to go where there are lots of birds. If you can go during the week hunting v. weekend is better as birds are typically somewhat more relaxed with less hunting pressure.

anyways, im looking for info on what gear I should have. ive got the camo (I hear its pretty important for turkeys...but could be wrong) and the shotgun, but what about a call and decoys? what calls are you guys using and should I bother with a decoy for this year or what? im thinking towards a box call, but as usual there is a whole wack to choose from it seems. any input would be great.
    thanks.
    Camouflage is essential for turkey hunting as the birds eyesight is equal to that of eagles.
    As a beginning turkey hunter you can't go wrong with friction calls. In my opinion every hunters should start with three calls.
    1. friction box call.
    2. pot and peg call.
    3. locator call. Make it a crow call, because these birds are everywhere and they are neither competition nor a danger to turkeys. It's a neutral call.

These calls are easy to master, practice often until you get the sounds down pat. Any turkey that has survived one or two hunting seasons is able to tell the difference between a real turkey sound and sounds almost like a turkey. The calls you need to learn as a beginner are yelps, clucks and purrs to get you started.

Decoys are not a necessity but sure help to put a gobbler at ease when he comes looking for the caller and to divert his attention from the hunter. Start with a feeding hen (relaxed position) decoy. Later you can build up a small flock that includes several hens and a jake decoy.

Hope this helps you out and best of luck.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-01-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Some good advise from HuntWriter.
    The farther east you can go the better it is.
    In my former hunny hole the turkey population is down by about 50%. I can only assume predation.
    Like you said "don't believe everything you are told" BUT there are few birds around Kelowna.
    Spend the extra time and go east. The choice is yours...good luck.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

I hear tale that there have been a couple of accidental releases of turkeys in the Merritt/Princeton area . How are those numbers now ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The mouth reed call is surpisingly easy to use and is a must if you want to be able to hold your gun up while making those last few chirps that bring em in. I picked up one of those jake decoys on a round base tha you can wobble with a spool of fishing line. Looks good but I've only tried it once or twice.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I hear tale that there have been a couple of accidental releases of turkeys in the Merritt/Princeton area . How are those numbers now ?
    Here in the Merritt/Nicola Valley area we hear rumours about turkeys moving in/released. Other than our CO showing me a picture of a single wild turkey (Merriam's) that he took just outside of Merritt, I have yet to see or hear one.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

i'll be hunting more towards osoyoos/grand forks area. I had just brought up turkey hunting to a couple guys I had met while deer hunting in Kelowna area.

huntwriter that is awesome info thanks for taking the time to post up, much appreciated.

Good day all,

Well, turkey season is upon us.. I'm new to east kootenays (kimberley) and am going to try my luck at a turkey hunt this spring.. That being said the only place I've seen turkey is along the highway by the "butte"... I'm certain I cannot hunt there haha..

Any info would be greatly appreciated, or perhaps I could tag along with someone in the east kootenays for a hunt.. Fuel would be on me of course..

Cheers