Thread: where to start?

where to start?

Hello Guys

I have been giving archery hunting allot of thought these days and was considering giving it a try. I have a very limited experience base and no local archery shop so I thought I could get some advice here. I would like to shoot with a compound bow. Is there any brands to avoid or vice versa some really great brands. I don't want anything too fancy to start with. I am aiming at purchasing the bow this winter/coming spring, practicing 2005, and trying a spring bear hunt in 2006. I need a new hobby so I thought perfecting my archery skills may be just the ticket!

McRae

2. Site Sponsor

Re: where to start?

Just a warning about bowhunting..... once you start it will become an all consuming passion....you may not go back to your guns!! LOL!!

As far as what to look for I would strongly reccomend that you go with something a little better than the basic entry level bow. There's 2 reason's for this, #1 if you really do like it its just about guaraunteed that you're gonna want to upgrade very quickly if you buy an entry level bow, #2 if you decide that you really don't like it a better bow will be easier to sell than an entry level bow. There are many great brands out there and it is simply going to come down to what feels best to you, and what you can afford. The 3 "top" brands right now would be Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech but you can also get some great quality bows from PSE, Darton, high Country, Martin, Jennings and many more. The first three will generally be at the top end of the money scale with the others being all over that scale. For a moderately priced bow PSE makes some pretty decent stuff that will last you quite a while. My personal preference is the Bowtech's, my wife likes the Hoyt's, As I said its all going to be personal preference, what you want out of the bow, and what your willing to pay. If you let us know what your looking for in a bow and your price range I'm sure we can give you some more specific advice!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I would recommend that you read magazines and books geered to bowhunting. Walmart carries a good bowhunting book to start with. Also with computers go online. There is so much info out there that is so easily available. It took me a while to understand the bow langauge but that is usaully the case for most things. One piece of advice, don't get caught up in getting the fastest bow. Get a bow with at least 7 inches or more brace height. These bows are more forgiving with you learning and perfecting your shooting form. Practise is important with good shooting form.

Willyqbc quote " Just a warning about bowhunting..... once you start it will become an all consuming passion....you may not go back to your guns!! LOL!!"
    He's right it does become a very consuming passion
    any questions just post or pm
    Todd

Thanks for the reply

As for the bow I will be hunting black bear and deer primarily with it. I figure to spend between 500 to 800 dollars to get set-up. I have at the moment an older Jennings Ultrastar XLR my brother picked up at a garage sale and gave to me this afternoon. It has all the goodies all ready so I may give this bow a try first. What do you think will this bow do the trick? It has wheels not cams and looks pretty sturdy and in good shape. It doesn't have a string at the moment so I will have to pick one up. My brother and I use to shoot quite allot but it was years ago. My last bow was made by the Alberta Bow Company but I foolishly sold it and I have pretty much stuck with rifle hunting and shooting. I miss the practicing and shooting with my bow I never did get out after big game with my archery gear but I really want to some day. I need something to keep me active and off the couch and I always liked archery!

McRae

Your brother has good intentions I am sure. The concerns you need to look at when getting any bow is one that fits you. First you need to know your draw length and the bows draw length match . Also having a draw weight that you can draw now and increase in future if you desire. If the bow does not fit you will possibly have a hard time tuning your bow. If I remember right the jennings ultrastar xlr were an excellent bow in their day. Having wheels on the bow make it a smooth easy drawing bow. You may have to get the string made, the string length should be written on the limbs. You can usually order them through a archery mail order or archery shop.
    By the way Mcrae get practicing now and the elk won't stand a chance against you next season. Hope this helps good luck.
    Todd