Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-03 B Grizzly Draw

6-03 B Grizzly Draw

Well everyone, turns out I got my grizzly draw.. This was very unexpected as I forget to fill out my Hunter Number when I sent the card off. I am looking more closely at the area and it seems it is all around Kemano, BC. However From what I can see I have to drive all of the way up to Kitimat, and then down about and hour or so. Does anyone know this area at all? Any tips for it? Seems like a nice spot just a B***h to get into...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6-03 B Grizzly Draw

Giant bears and lots of them! Don't go above highwater line in the kemano due to Rio tinto owning it. They will try and kick you out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Coast mountain guy View Post
    Giant bears and lots of them! Don't go above highwater line in the kemano due to Rio tinto owning it. They will try and kick you out. Good luck!
    Awesome thanks! Do you know anything about hunting on or around the Kildala River?

It's a long haul even in a fast boat.
    If you go you Must stop at the all natural hot tub Europa hot springs. I Believe it's labeled as clear water hot springs on the map. It's so hot I can barely stand it. Theirs a nice forestry safty cabin in the bay too. I seen the biggest black bear I've ever seen their. It's right before the last bend to kemano

you could also stop at wewanne hot springs it's about a third of the way down.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Can't hunt up the Kildala River. It's posted "No Hunting" and references a section of the Wildlife Act. Alcan runs a pretty tight ship in those parts. Lots of other good areas to hunt though.

Given the logistics and distance for you to hunt that zone you couldn't have put in the draw without some knowledge/intel?
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Westcoasthunter - I know that area well, and have hunted (with a grizz tag) there twice in the fall, and once in the spring. Access is a problem, for sure. You have two choices, a quad over the powerline road, or a drop off from someone in Kitimat. When I hunted with my daughter (her tag) in the spring, we couldn't get over the powerline road due to snow, so we chartered in and got dropped off. We saw some awesome bears, one I would absolutely love to have, blonde with brown boots, but it wasn't to be. We missed getting a shot at him by minutes. She could only hunt one weekend, otherwise, we probably would have had him. If you want more info, give me an email.

All I can say is make sure you are down there in early May, you won't regret it. Lots of big bears live there..... You may be able to do a fly in and hunt with a zodiac or find a bigger boat and go in yourself, if you watch the weather you will do fine heading to the northern part of the zone.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

I know of a couple bears that have come out of the kildala. But that was a bunch of years ago. I guess it's all based on how far you want to go. It is a haul down to kemano but its worth it like gerrygoat said. Lots of area to camp and hunt. There's cabins all the way down that nobody uses built by the Haisla. I've never seen anyone in them.

Awesome ive been doing my research found what looks like some nice area and planning things out! So I have to go in on quad though I can not get in with a truck?

I've only boated and choppered into the area. The zone starts at the height of land between the Dala and Kildala. Not sure how to get a quad into the huntable areas without a boat. Typically the spring grizzly hunting on coastal zones is best achieved with a boat or do a fly in with a raft. Is this your first grizz hunt and do you plan on going with a partner or solo? A big coastal grizz can soak up a lot of lead!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC