Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Going to africa and alberta

Re: Going to africa and alberta

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    kudu, gemsbok, and water buck are high on my list of priorities. Sable as well if things go well
    Most of the sport hunters visiting Southern Africa start hunting Kudu, Gemsbok and other similar media promoted species.

I always suggest that once those animals are in the salt, that they give the Bushbuck serious consideration - In macho speak; they got balls! In terms of the trophy room - they certainly have the looks, in either full or shoulder mounts.

Bushbuck may not not be up there with Africa's biggest animals, but pound for pound they are the most pugnacious. They will challange even the most seasoned of hunters.

My favourite area for hunting them is in the Eastern Cape, here they are a deep chocolate brown with white spots on the belly.

In August 1998 I was hunting on a farm of a friend of mine in the Eastern Cape. At the time, I was carrying my trusted Musgrave '06 loaded with 180-grain bullets, and wanted to shoot a kudu for venison.

With me was my Staffy, Vellies, as we sat on a hillside overlooking the Bushman’s River, a bushbuck ram stepped out of the thick riverine bush, and wandered into the open, basking in the winter morning sunshine, as these animals love to do.

He was a long ways out (no range finders in those days) and, perhaps I was irresponsible for attempting it, but after holding high on the the shoulder, and using a handy branch as a rest, I drove a bullet his way.

With the sound still reverberating across the valley, the bushbuck leapt sideways, then bounded back into the dense bush barking loudly. As it disappeared, I could clearly see a shattered right front leg swinging freely.

My bullet had dropped at least 14˝ and left me chastising myself for having risked the shot in the first place.

After quickly running another shell into the chamber, I slipped and slid down the steep sided hill, and with an eager Vellies at heel, made my way across to where the luckless bushbuck had been standing.

Quietly whispering, “Seek him up,” I sent the bush-smart Staffy into the dark shadows within the tangled bush. He was not gone for long, before he began to bark excitedly, his own barks soon being challenged by those of the angry bushbuck.

The barking gave me something to home in on - so crawling on hands and knees, I slowly made my way to the scene.

The bushbuck was on his front knees, with his hindquarters tucked into a thorn bush, his stiletto sharp horns parrying and thrusting at Vellies - I called the dog off and put an end to his suffering - Most other African antelope would not have stood its ground and faught.
    Last edited by Kudu; 04-18-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Hey thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to see Africa.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Yup, bushbuck should be on top of the list. It's one that I didn't get and that was my only African "disappointment".

A strikingly beautiful animal and they just seem so in charge of their surroundings.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.