Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo Jacket recommendations

Camo Jacket recommendations

I'm looking for thoughts and experiences with a camo shell-style rainjacket. Something that would be good and waterproof for the liquid sunshine we get so often here on the island. Looking for something light and not insulated that I can use as the top layer so it would be useable all year round. And of course... trying to be as budget conscious as possible. Aiming around the $200 range.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Camo Jacket recommendations

Wife and I just bought 2 of these from Vantage Point they are a very nice jacket I am super impressed and I am used to having the best gear money can buy.
    http://www.firstlite.com/product_det...ary-stormtight

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I've been binging myself on Steve Rinella's show, Meat Eater over the last week and he's a big big supporter of First Lite. Do you mind me asking what you paid? The Vantage Point site is down right now.

I've been wanting to try out some of their products, but haven't found them in stores, prefer to buy clothing in person

heard nothing but good things about their products, but I think they need a new marketing manager, stuff like this just sounds cheesy and lame...I mean really, companies like arteryx, Sitka and kuiu have no problem listing all of their technical "advantages"....albeit exaggerated advantages I'm sure, but I still want to know what the product offers

"There are so many features in this compact, packable jacket that they can't all be listed making the Boundary Stormtight the perfect jacket for chasing that monster bruin in B.C."

Oh man... that's pretty bad. I was looking at some of their marketing and stuff and their videos are horrible too. Being a video producer/director/editor myself, it was pretty painful to watch. Hmmmm.... maybe I should hit them up about some tradesies!?!

camofire.com
    I discovered this a few months back. They're deeply discounted and rotate their offers every few hours. I've bought a few items from them and haven't been disappointed. There's a bit of a premium shipping to Canada but the price more than offsets it. They have a few good jackets in rotation from rocky, core4element, Sitka to badlands... buying gear is almost as fun as using it!

I have a Sitka and one from Core4element. I like them both, the Sitka has more substance (thicker) and a brushed feel to it which makes it quiet. The Core4 is very thin and light. Both regular goretex waterproof... not as good as rubber but the best if you are going to be hiking.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Camofire, Core4Element and Black Ovis are all the same company. Not that it matters, just don't pay full retail on the Core4 or BlackOvis site because it will eventually end up on Camofire at a discount.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I think there just a bunch of good old boys from North Idaho who just want to make some money and have nice gear to hunt and ski in. I took Bill from Vantage Points word on the quality and was not disappointed just for reference I have at least 3 or 4 grand worth of Arc'teryx gear so that's who I am comparing to.

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    I've been wanting to try out some of their products, but haven't found them in stores, prefer to buy clothing in person

heard nothing but good things about their products, but I think they need a new marketing manager, stuff like this just sounds cheesy and lame...I mean really, companies like arteryx, Sitka and kuiu have no problem listing all of their technical "advantages"....albeit exaggerated advantages I'm sure, but I still want to know what the product offers

"There are so many features in this compact, packable jacket that they can't all be listed making the Boundary Stormtight the perfect jacket for chasing that monster bruin in B.C."

I've also been looking at what to wear out in the bush. I'm a newbie hunter here in BC and hunt around Region 2 and 3, which is wet and steep. So I was thinking a UnderArmour 2.0 base layer and Cabelas MT050 Goretex Quite Pack Jacket and pants for my outer layer. It seems like the quitest waterproof clothes out there. I understand that Camo isn't always needed but everything else I found to wear hiking is around the same price but loud as ever when brushing up against bush. So I narrowed it down to the Cableas quite or silent seude, or rain seude. I"m hiking in the wet bush most of the time and think this would be best to wear almost all the time. Anyone hunt these areas? what do you find is best? And somewhat affordable!
    Last edited by Just; 02-28-2014 at 06:41 AM.

agreed I've heard nothing but good about their products and when I'm able to try them on in store for sizing I'll give them a shot...I just had a little chuckle when I read that line