Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Checkmate Bows

Re: Checkmate Bows

I have 3 Chekmate bows that have been gathering dust since my husband passed away in 2004. They were made by the original owners of Chekmate Archery, Dorothy, and her husband, whose name I can't remember. (We actually got to meet them when we were on our honeymoon in western Canada, and Dorothy showed us her Olympic medal!)

They are traditional wood laminate longbows, 60, 70 and 80 lb. draw weights. Yeah...guess why I'm having trouble finding anyone who's interested??

Please e-mail me and I will give you more details. These bows were custom made for my husband, I have no use for them (even if I COULD handle the draw weight, I'm a lefty) and I really would like to see them go to a good home!
    Last edited by Sheilajeanne; 07-22-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Where are you located? There are quite a few heavy bow guys on this site

Www.tradtalk.com

I could handle the 60# and maybe the 70# but 80# would really be pushing it.

You could also look at the Tradtalk forum.

There's a "Heavy Bow Society" on there so you might be in luck.

American based forum but a strong USD could maybe see that as a tempting offer for someone stateside

I'm in Bradford, Ontario. The bows have travelled a long way from their home in B.C. They are not any particular 'model' as they were custom made for my husband. They are completely straight, with a gradual taper to the midsection. There is no designated hand grip, only an arrow rest on the left side. I think the term traditional archers use for this type of bow is 'broomstick'.

Okay, here's a picture of him pulling the 70-pounder. Hope it doesn't raise too many eyebrows!

The photo editor here is being really really difficult, and won't post either from my files or Photobucket, so I'm giving a direct clickable link.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pseqtyandy.jpg
    Last edited by Sheilajeanne; 07-22-2015 at 09:14 PM.

you have 3 longbows , I would suggest a price of $200 each if in good shape . Suggest you try the USA archery forums as the US dollar is worth more . www.archerytalk.com has a big classified section for Traditional bows , www.stickbow Take some good photos of each bow , the handle ( both sides ) and each of the tips and a full length photo

Forgive me if I'm a bit slow responding to people. I run a dog kennel, it's the busy season, and all sorts of problems are coming my way: septic system backed up, phone not working well, neither lawnmower wants to work, etc. etc.!