Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checkmate Bows

Checkmate Bows

I can't find a web site for them. Are they still being made and if they are who is selling them on the island? Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Checkmate Bows

Nice bows but it is a pain to get one straight from checkmate these days

Better off to buy one from a shop that has them or used. I can't remember the store but when I stopped in Courtney well I was on the island a shop there carried checkmate

^x2 on the Courtney store lots to choose from if you're right handed. If you're leftie you're out of luck.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Go to a 3d shoot Mark is usually at them. I think he lives in Port Alberni.

I have prepaid for two bows. I was calling him to find out when they would be finished. He kept telling me he was going to the bus depot to ship them. I still have not received them. I called and he gave me reasons that they were not finished and he kept saying he would ship them soon. Now when I call he will not answer. I have tried e-mailing but he will not answer back. I am extremely frustrated!
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life, so there is no better time to make changes than now.

Quote Originally Posted by First Up View Post
    I have prepaid for two bows. I was calling him to find out when they would be finished. He kept telling me he was going to the bus depot to ship them. I still have not received them. I called and he gave me reasons that they were not finished and he kept saying he would ship them soon. Now when I call he will not answer. I have tried e-mailing but he will not answer back. I am extremely frustrated!
    I have not met Mark but have heard he is a nice guy and I know he builds a good bow

But the story you just posted I have been hearing a lot since Mark took over ownership of checkmate. I personally went through this my self and in the end of on going due dates changing I cancelled my order. I respect it takes time and should not be rushed but if it is going to take a year or 2+ the customer should be told that. Promising a date and missing it is one thing but falling through on multiple due dates is too much.

If Mark comes on this forum or any of his close friends Mark should know he is getting a bad rep for this issue. Great Canadian bow but this issue has deterred my self and others from ordering a checkmate in the future

out and about in the thickets/maple ridge

i don't know how many of you are bowyers but, it in no way take 2 years to make a laminated bow, recurve or longbow. recently a buddy of mine ordered up a r/d longbow form him, paid for it, was told 6 months for delivery(a joke), 18 months later, several emails and phone calls and he was told he had to send another $400 to get the bow finished off. ridiculous. so we sat down, figured out what he wanted and i ordered up the lams, couldn't find any bacote nice enough around here to cut/grind them myself. 1 week for materials to show up, built it and shot it in, finished 6 days later. while working my full time job. i've built over a hundred selfbows, aside from stave dry time, they only take a few weeks to a couple months. laminated bows like chek mate sells don't take long at all. the only way it could possibly take that long, is if he has that many orders to fill, and if so, he should inform the customer how far backordered he is and NOT take deposits/payment until he gets close to a resonable delivery time.

spell check...chekmate...

spell check ... Chek-Mate , or if you can`t spell hyphen ...Chek Mate and while were at it Marc not Mark .
    The bad cold I have right now is making me do this !!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

What u looking for. Got a check-mate hunter 52 at 28" I might part with.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.