Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody make wild game bone broth?

Re: Anybody make wild game bone broth?

the only thing I might add to Hanrahan's recipe is maybe add some apple cider vinegar (couple of ounces) as from what I've read on the net, it helps draw the nutrients out of the bones. I made some elk bone broth couple of weeks ago and I don't mind it but some find there is a different taste that they are not crazy about. Oh, I freeze mine - easier than canning.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Sometimes I think my wife would be happier if I left the meat in the woods and just brought the bones out. Bone based soup is a daily menu here when we have them. I save deer and bear shanks bone in for the same use.
    We love our bone broth around our household, too. Deer, moose, grouse and of course... hare. I use it as a base for so many things... Soups, stews, sauces, risotto, caseroles, etc.

This is one of the main reasons why the gutless method sucks.

Saw this yesterday and it reminded me of this thread.

Bone Broth = Superfood ??

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bone...-food-27301628

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    We love our bone broth around our household, too. Deer, moose, grouse and of course... hare. I use it as a base for so many things... Soups, stews, sauces, risotto, caseroles, etc.

This is one of the main reasons why the gutless method sucks.
    Nonsense. If you do the gutless method you can still take the carcass bones if you want. Even if you don't take them you still have the leg bones, which are the most prized stock making bones. Rib bones will make stock but not like leg bones.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    1. Roast bones (knuckles, joints, marrow bones) at 400 for 1/2 hour then flip them and roast another 1/2 hour.
    2. Coat bones in tomato paste, throw some onions and carrots and celery onto the roasting pan and roast for 1/2 hour more. (this stage smells delicious, btw)
    3. Pour everything into a big crock pot, add bay leaf, peppercorns, 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (to leech all the good stuff from the bones), top with water and cook on low for 24-48 hours
    4. Let cool then SKIM the FAT. Some people use tallow for cooking, up to you.

I was truly surprised by how delicious this was.
    Bingo...big stock pot, continually skim and add water as it reduces...
    you can always reduce later after you strain.

On a side note... we shucked a few hundred prawns this past summer and turned the heads into a seafood stock. The whole house smelled pretty seafoody for a while but the stock was delicious! Won't be throwing those away again.

All of these are great methods. Only way to really improve them is to add red wine. Lots of it. I make a large quantity of bone broth regularly by roasting the bones really well. Lots of colour equals lots of flavour. Also, tomato paste is a good addition to add colour and richness to the final product. All the vegetables mentioned are great, I also add a good amount of fresh herbs, rosemary, sage and thyme as well as bay leaves. If you want a really nice finished product, add about 4L of cheap red wine (as well as 4L of water). As the broth reduces, the red wine adds a ton of density and richness to the final sauce. Like mentioned, strain at least three or four times to keep it refined. If you are cooking for just one or two people, freeze the finished reduced broth in ice cube trays so when you're almost done roasting or cooking dinner, toss a couple of cubes into the pan, add some butter and some fresh chopped herbs and the sauce will be restaurant quality.

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    On a side note... we shucked a few hundred prawns this past summer and turned the heads into a seafood stock. The whole house smelled pretty seafoody for a while but the stock was delicious! Won't be throwing those away again.

If you did this again but added a few more vegetables and a few potatoes and cream, you would have a fantastic bisque! Puree the soup with a hand blender or in batches in a processor and then strain through a fine mesh sieve.....adjust the seasoning and you wont be disappointed.