Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First gun recommendations…

Re: First gun recommendations…

The advise I got here on the island a while back was to start with a .22 caliber rifle so practice can be affordable and it can be used for rabbits, squirrels etc. so I bought a Savage Mark II .22LR. Seen as you already have a .22 then you will be set to practice. I thought I could rush into this but found that hitting a rabbit sized target from 75 yards is harder than you think when you are first starting out. I shoot targets out in the bush at all different distances and have my scope zeroed at 75 yards. I would not want to go out and "practice" on any animals until I was confident that I could kill them with the first shot so off I go and practice practice practice. I now have confidence and know my rifle well at different distances and angles to go out and get some small game at the distances I am comfortable at. 100 yards for me right now would be my maximum yardage until I get more practice at the longer yardages. I then went and bought a Savage Axis .30-06 and have been practicing with it the same way I did with my Mark II. These are affordable rifles with affordable ammo. I use Federal Fusion for $23 a box for practice and have also tried other brands from 125, 150, 165 and 180 grain and so far I get the best groups with the 180 grain Federal Power Shok. I am 5' 11" and 195 lbs. with a stocky build so the recoil of the 06 is manageable but if I were 170 lbs. I would have gone with the .270 instead. I have shot about 200 rounds in the last couple of months again at different distances at my target stand at different angles and have my scope zeroed at 100 yards. To be honest, I would not take a shot outside of 200 yards yet as I still have some flyers out of that 8" circle but I see my progress and it is obvious to me now that what experienced guys have told me is to not shoot farther than your ability and I do know my limits. I just have to keep practicing and to be honest with myself and keep within my limits. I also have taken advice from HBC and from other experienced hunters and gone out in the bush and looked for the poop and followed tracks which goes hand in hand with the shooting practice. You can't have one without the other. What I have learned is that hunting is a lifestyle and a commitment, not a weekend hobby. I cannot wait to go out this weekend to get my shooting practice while my family picks berries (and garbage!) and then we all get to look for poop and trails! I hope you get your PAL soon so you can practice practice practice which will enable you to self sustain and enjoy the wilderness as I recently have. Cheers, Cam.

Sorry about the ramble but this is the first year I have shot a rifle since the late 90's when I first got my PAL and I thought I could just go out and shoot game instantly just because I could buy a gun. I now know better. Witko's post reminded me of how I thought it would be after I got my PAL renewed. I prefer practicing in the bush as that is where I will be hunting and I get to practice different shots from the standing or kneeling position. The range would be good for sighting in but I don't plan on bringing my sand bags and a table with me in the bush! I just bought an extendable bipod as out at 200+ yards I cannot keep steady enough to keep within my circle while standing. Also this way I am learning windage and real life shots and with different light levels and shadows etc. I will also be taking my oldest son with me and want him to learn how to ethically take an animal. I am sure addicted to the process and I hope it will pay off this upcoming season.

Remember that under stress, when you've spotted a prime game animal, you're only half as accurate, (the first few times), as you are when you're nice and relaxed and shooting paper. It's great to see a new hunter practicing and admitting he's not fond of recoil. The odd flyer might be when you get tired of the recoil after awhile and give in a bit to flinch. Just an idea, try target shooting with cheap 150 grain ammo that your rifle likes...Fusion shoots well in most rifles, and see if your groups tighten and your "flyers" disappear. The 150 grain ammo will give you 17.5 ft-lbs of recoil versus 20.5 ft-lbs for 180 grain ammo in the 30.06, and you'll notice the difference. If you find that you're shooting a lot better with the 150 grain cartridges, then consider hunting with either Barnes TTSX or Federal Trophy Copper in 150 grain...either one will handle a moose after hitting a leg bone as well or better than traditional 180 grain lead bullets. The Barnes TTSX shoots .4moa in my glass bedded '56 Husky 30.06...I'd be inclined to try their ammo first.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Guide View Post
    I would suggest a .30-06 -.308 - 7mm-08 -.270 If you look around you should be able to find a good one between $350 and $500. A good second hand pump shotgun will only cost about $150 if you look a little
    Good Advice ! Ammo is well priced for these 4 cartridges too ! RJ