Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First gun recommendations…

Re: First gun recommendations…

Like others have suggested the Savage Axis is a good deal, or you can upgrade a bit to the Savage 11/111 scope combo, or even the Savage 16/116 if you want stainless barrel. All good and good priced.My gun i use is a Savage 16/116 WW 30-06 shooting 180gr nosler partition.
    Like others have said hunting is not really cost effective for meat.

Thanks again, all... for the thoughts and suggestions. I'm trying to not get too hung up on the gear. I find that's something that people tend to put too much time, energy and money into, in almost all pursuits nowadays, but I do want to maximize my dollars so I'm trying to be mindful about my purchases. My current thinking is to spend less on my rifle, more on my scope and as much as I can on ammo and time at the range. I'm leaning towards the Axis (in .270) and probably upgrade the stock to an aftermarket wood stock, not at all a fan of plastic and put as much as I possibly can into a Vortex scope (likely a Viper).

Quote Originally Posted by Witko View Post
    Thanks again, all... for the thoughts and suggestions. I'm trying to not get too hung up on the gear. I find that's something that people tend to put too much time, energy and money into, in almost all pursuits nowadays, but I do want to maximize my dollars so I'm trying to be mindful about my purchases. My current thinking is to spend less on my rifle, more on my scope and as much as I can on ammo and time at the range. I'm leaning towards the Axis (in .270) and probably upgrade the stock to an aftermarket wood stock, not at all a fan of plastic and put as much as I possibly can into a Vortex scope (likely a Viper).
    If I may make a humble suggestion, if you don't mind buying a rifle for $300-400 then spending extra on a wood stock, I know of a brand new old series weatherby vanguard blued synthetic in 270 for 420$ plus shipping and tax, then there is the boyds stock for $150 all said and done. This would be a set up to be very proud of for a lifetime. The vanguard is a very mis understood rifle, it's one of the best kept secrets of the rifle world, for rifles in that price range, it's design is based on the old sako. I'm not knocking your choice of rifles as the axis will work just fine....but most will agree these two rifles aren't even in the same ballpark. If you're trying to maximize your dollars please please just spend another 100$ on the rifle and get something really solid. Like I said, just my opinion

Nothing wrong with your ideas there. Would much rather have good optics on a cheap rifle than poor optics on an expensive one. 270 is a great calibre. As for the stock if money is an issue don't worry about for now, especially on the wet coast. If you really want a wood stock it's probably cheaper to start off with one than changing it after, unless you do the work yourself.

308 is a great caliber, my one complaint with 7.62 by 51 is that it does not handle 200 grain bullets as well as a 30/06 can handle them. Don't get me wrong I like the 308, just as soon as Marstars gets in their new shipment of Norenco ChiCom GI M-14 copies I am going to order one and use it as my truck gun.

I bought a savage 111 in .30-06. It works great as a beginner gun, accurate with a nice pillowy recoil pad. I bought it used (15 rounds down the pipe) so I got a good deal on it. The stock isn't pretty but I can bash it around without getting rings or scratches so it works just fine as a bush gun. Buy one then save up for a really nice scope later on. The included scope should be sufficient for the first couple years of hunting, especially if you're like me and never have to use it

pm me i got a unreal deal for u. in 308 win. in a new riffle.

Gatekeeper put me on to a really nice Lithgow .303. A real joy to shoot!
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    Go for a sks! Lots of bang for your buck, and very affordable. Could spend time at the range every day for penny's!
    I use my SKS, got myself a whitetail and black bear near Fort St John, so should kill whatever Van Isle has to offer. It has similar punch to a 30-30, and less recoil. There are endless accessories and modifications for it, and they're more accurate than you are.

$200 for the rifle (1953 or later Tula would be best) and $300 for a 1200 round crate of surplus ammo. I use Hornady SSTs for hunting, $40 for a box of 50.

On the Island you'll rarely get a shot far enough to need a scope, and the first time it fogs up you'll wish you never bought it.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 02-26-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I bought a savage 11/111 in 30-06 as well. No complaints on it so far.