Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First gun recommendations…

Re: First gun recommendations…

If you are short on cash, buy a cheap pump shotgun then look at one of the budget priced rifles like the Ruger American or Savage Axis. Or buy used. Lots of used guns online for sale. Just beware some guys want 110% of new !!

I wouldn't even consider using slugs to hunt with in BC.

Get a .308. Recoil is okay and plenty of inexpensive ammo for it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

You could always hunt FOR slugs...

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoor...anders290.html
    Eat your dessert first.

I was going to recommend an axis too, they're inexpensive you can get them as a combo with a scope and in any calibre you want. I bought one minus the scope in .308, recoil is manageable but it could use a recoil pad if you're going to spend a good amount of time at the range.

There is only one answer to your question as far as I am concerned. Get yourself a Remington 30/06 BDL. U will not be sorry, it is accurate, will kill anything in north america save the great bears and it a pinch it will do that to. It will take game farther out than U can shoot accurately. Ammo is relatively cheap and available everywhere, recoil is mild, what's not to like?

Since you are on the Island, a .243 is also a great choice of caliber. Shoots super flat and will take down anything on the island, great for learning too as they are also really manageable in terms of kick. Easy to find in shorter barrel lengths and that can be a plus in the tight island rainforest. Everyone else's recommendations are also valid. You have lots of options and if you are on a budget this site, gun shows, the range and canadiangunnutz is where you will find value for $.

You can't beat the value of these guns for your first hunting rifle. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/26831/...-rifle-w-scope .243, .270, .308, .30-06 all great calibers with the .243 being the lightest recoiling. Get a .22 to develop your skills. If you shop around you can find a used shotgun for around $250. Good luck

Might want to find a way to get some expendable income lol hunting is not really a cost effective way to gather food.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

I bought the mossberg 500 field $329 from whole sale sports,,,,,,,it comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts,,,,,,3 choke sizes,,,,improved cylinder(shooting rifled slugs),,modified(steelshot),,,,full choke(all lead),,,,,,,I get between 3-4 inch groups at 75 yards,,,,true not as good as a rifle but very very doable on deer and black bear,,,,,,I buy the 2-3/4 Winchester super X rifled slugs Value pack from Walmart or Canadian tire,,,,,u get 15 slugs for 14 bux,,,,,I've shot deer every year with them,,,,,bear,coyotes,,,,everything in the area I live
    Aim small,,miss small

Another vote for the 308. 243 is deadly in the right hands but one badly placed shot could have you searching for miles.I have heard of many lost black tails, even though the shooter swears he made a good shot with his 243. 308 is a good cal.

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Might want to find a way to get some expendable income lol hunting is not really a cost effective way to gather food.
    You got that right, every season I get the "if you shoot something I want some meet, it's not like you pay for it" correction, the meat you're trying to mooch is probably the most expensive you'll eat after pre season costs, trip costs, equipment costs, butchering if you don't do it yourself, it works out to be far from free.