Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First gun recommendations…

First gun recommendations…

Hey all,
    So here's the deal… I'm taking my PAL this weekend and will take my CORE soon after that. My plan will be to get a gun fairly quickly and get as much range time in as I can before the fall seasons open up. My motivation in getting into hunting (at the ripe ol' age of 39) is purely as a food source, so I hope to be as diverse as I possibly can, here on Vancouver Island. I don't have very much expendable income so I'm really trying to maximize my budget. Because of this, my plan has been to get a Mossberg 500 combo kit with the rifled barrel. That would put me in a position to shoot everything from ducks, and upland to deer and (from as far as I can tell with research) possibly elk and black bear. My eyeballs nearly exploded out of my head today when I discovered the cost of sabot shells are around $3-$4 per round. Which is fine when you're actually hunting, but makes range practice a bit of a killer on the wallet.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has experience with shooting sabot that might be able to recommend a more cost-effective way to get proficient with shooting slug. OR am I not headed down the right path with trying to make a shotgun operate as an all-in-one and would be wiser to just get a .270 or .30-06 for the medium game and save the duck/geese/upland for further down the road.

Any thoughts/inputs/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First gun recommendations…

I wouldn't say you're headed down the wrong path but you are limiting yourself as far as deer go. You should probably be looking for a rifle for deer(270 .308 30.06),these calibres because of the availability of ammo, and a shotgun for every thing else(should be able to find a cheap one used). If you're on a budget think used and with the best optics you can afford. Welcome to hunting

It's not legal to shoot elk with slugs. I'd look into a 308, 30 06, or 270 for big game as ammo is common and is cheaper than most of the new calibers. get a 22 for small game and cheap practice then pick up $100 single shot shotgun from one theses sites or a gun show for the short term then go from there.

Buy a Savage, or Remington, or Ruger. OR sign up to canadiangunnutz.com and buy a used rifle scope combo in one of these fine calibers!

6mm
    6.5x...
    7mm-08
    30-30
    30-06

AND A .22 to practice practice practice!!!

or...

just shoot normal slugs from a smooth barrel.
    Eat your dessert first.

What's wrong with buying a lowly ole 303 to hunt deer and elk with if you are low on funds, and buy a cheapo shotgun for your birds.

First gun for hunting for a food source ?

First: Get a rifle to go after good sized animals deer/bear/elk etc.

Second gun: shotgun for ducks

Third gun: 22rimfire for grouse/ rabbits

It doesn't seem so long ago that I was in your shoes... just a few years younger when I started. You are in for an amazing life altering learning experience.

A shotgun for a first island gun... its an interesting idea. In theory it would do you for birds and deer. My main concern with the idea would echo yours. I would really worry about being able to practice enough to be a confident and ethical hunter if I were in your shoes. Slugs will wallop you in both your pocket book and in your shoulder. I have been shooting a while now and if I am not careful I start flinching when shooting buckshot through my 12 gauge. I have to really dial back the amount I shoot through it at one time. Slugs are even worse than buckshot. I would shudder to think how miserable I would have been if this was the gun I chose to learn how to shoot with. Birdshot is fine, but buck and slugs are just a different beast. In the end I predict you would probably find yourself running to the gun store to find something easier on you, thereby not saving much in the way of cash.

Personally I recommend you pick up a 22 and learn how to shoot and worry about the big game rifle after you have a better idea of what you can handle. Going to the range with your 22 would be a great way to see what other guns are like. One commonality ranges seem to have is I meet genuine good people there. Often people are open to letting you handle or try out their rifles especially if you are new. At the very least it is a good place to go and talk guns.

Wow... awesome info. Can't thank you all enough for taking the time to shed some light. I forgot to mention that I've got a .22 Plinkster waiting for me the day I get my PAL and plan to shoot it by the bucket load! Hoping to do my part to control the island rabbit population and see if I can't find the odd grouse. And I've also started dabbling with archery and made the quick realization that any notions of bow hunting will have to be held off for a few seasons while those skills are honed.

Safe to say the research will continue for the next 6-8 weeks until that card shows up... then it'll be time to make that final decision.

Thanks for the warm welcome to HBC. I think I'm gonna like it here.

I would suggest a .30-06, .308, .280, .270 or .25-06 If you look around you should be able to find a good one between $350 and $500. A good second hand pump shotgun will only cost about $150 if you look a little

Go for a sks! Lots of bang for your buck, and very affordable. Could spend time at the range every day for penny's!