Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's your scope recommendation?

Re: what's your scope recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I would look at a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, for the money I don't think you can buy a better scope for all round hunting purposes.
    WF
    x2........

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonblacktails View Post
    If you ever come across the now discontinued zeiss 3.5-10x44 for a good price I would snatch that up in a heartbeat, assuming you're not looking for a lightweight scsope. I like it because it still fits on med rings and the larger objective offers a larger sight picture, not field of view just a bigger picture, when compared to my leupold 3.4-10x40, when you have them side by side it's quite noticable, eveything just looks bigger looking throught the zeiss. It almost like having a 12 power, which I like because I like punching paper as much as I can at 200. Other than that I think everything suggested is a good choice
    I agree have one on my Tikka 270 wsm and it has been great ,3 whitey bucks in the last 2 years very happy,,,,

1 more vote for Leupold. My choice would be 3-9x40!

hunter1993ap & BCBrad,

Thanks for the info.

Does the image get "crisper" with a smaller objective lens? Ie: 40 mm vs 50 mm

I have the VX3 4.5-14x40 with Boone and Crocket reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag and have been extremely happy with it.

I had the leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 b & c on my 7mm rem mag. Then I swapped it for a vx3 4.5-14x40 cds

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I would look at a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, for the money I don't think you can buy a better scope for all round hunting purposes.
    WF
    I just bought one of these for an A-Bolt in 375 H&H and it is really nice,,especially for $700

I have a vx6 2-12x42 illuminated for my 7mm rem mag nosler 48
    Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 for my savage longrange hunter in 6.5 creedmoor
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 for my savage lrpv 6mm br
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 02-19-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyg826 View Post
    Does the image get "crisper" with a smaller objective lens? Ie: 40 mm vs 50 mm
    My understanding, albeit incomplete, is that the diameter of the bell has more to do with the transmission of light rather than clarity. That is, how long the scope can be seen through as darkness falls. Generally speaking the larger the bell the more light that is transmitted, ergo the earlier/later you can use the scope.

In most areas of life everything comes at a cost and the extra light transmission is no exception. The larger diameter lenses require the rifle to be mounted higher up from the action creating potential cheek weld and/or parallax issues.

More importantly the larger lenses are much harder to make at a higher quality level so the clarity and sharpness of your image may actually degrade with lower quality large diameter objective bells even though more light is transmitted.

With all things being equal there should be no difference in clarity between a 40mm and 50mm objective but this ain't Oz and unless you pay you will not get the same clarity.

So it is a trade off. For me 40mm is a nice compromise between light transmission and glass quality. Hope that helps...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/ho...html?section=1

This link has a menu that covers rifle scope 101, not bad explanations. Light transmission is part 4.
    Last edited by wlbc; 02-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.