Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's your scope recommendation?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: what's your scope recommendation?

I would look at a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, for the money I don't think you can buy a better scope for all round hunting purposes.
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I would suggest the Zeiss Conquest in a 3-9x40 or a Meopta 3-9x42.

I'm finding less fascination with higher magnification on a hunting rig; in fact the last 4 scopes I've bought have been VX2 2-7, VX3 2.5-8, Zeiss Conquest 3-9, and Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Seems to be better bang for the buck on 3-9's over 2.5/3.5-10's in Zeiss or Leupold.

BC Brad, I'm thinking of a fixed 2.5 or 4 for my next scope, I was thinking that 6x might be too much. Any issues with target acquisition at close range?

Thanks for your input folks. Every bit helps and who better to ask than you guys who use them!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post

I'm finding less fascination with higher magnification on a hunting rig; in fact the last 4 scopes I've bought have been VX2 2-7, VX3 2.5-8, Zeiss Conquest 3-9, and Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Seems to be better bang for the buck on 3-9's over 2.5/3.5-10's in Zeiss or Leupold.

BC Brad, I'm thinking of a fixed 2.5 or 4 for my next scope, I was thinking that 6x might be too much. Any issues with target acquisition at close range?
    I don't have a problem but I put thousands of rounds downrange a year, plus i have used this rig since i started hunting so its about as comfortable as you can get. most of the shooting i do is a pellet gun, but if you spend enough time behind the scope you become fast.

could save a lot more money and go with iron sights and a pair of these.

And the chicks will dig ya too!!!!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post

I don't find it so, big clear image when I shoulder the rifle, scope always seems to be on target, very generous eye box sure helps as well.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
    I have to agree. I have been researching a lot of scopes this year and want to get a 4.5-14x40 leupold or the 3.5-18x44 swaro but I keep going back to the fx 6x42. I'm still on the fence weather or not I will get a new scope but I think my preferred hunting scope will always be the 6x42 leupold. the only difference with mine is its the fine duplex, so I can still shoot long ranges at smaller targets. I know with the fixed scope ill never make the mistake of hunting in the timber with the scope cranked and miss out on a critter.
    I'm 100 % on board with fixed power scopes; I've two 6X42 Leupold scopes that get the job done on my hunting rifles. In fact, my No.1 wears a 4x33 Leupold that works just fine too.

If you ever come across the now discontinued zeiss 3.5-10x44 for a good price I would snatch that up in a heartbeat, assuming you're not looking for a lightweight scsope. I like it because it still fits on med rings and the larger objective offers a larger sight picture, not field of view just a bigger picture, when compared to my leupold 3.4-10x40, when you have them side by side it's quite noticable, eveything just looks bigger looking throught the zeiss. It almost like having a 12 power, which I like because I like punching paper as much as I can at 200. Other than that I think everything suggested is a good choice