Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hunting Guide Training

Re: Hunting Guide Training

another thought

Once you have your first job ask around all the other guides as some have moved around lots. Met one guy who was working his way from beatton river to the yukon at different outfits to see new country. Lots of insight into different outfits and what they are like to work out.I think I had hit one of the best which was good. It is a long established outfit that has been in the family since the 40's, lots of elk moose and sheep and is almost entirely horse hunting which is what I was looking for. Oh another good thing is they have good camps which is nice because your don't end up out of a pup tent all season. Got hired after a phone conversation once I had sent out all my resumes to the GOABC list.
    While guide schools are good to get you some basic info, if you are a hard work and have people skills at all that is all you need. The guide school may get you into guiding first but almost all that we had seen that did that thought they knew everything but most wranglers knew more than they did in a short time and were much more teachable. At our outfit we tended to all pack and do everything the same way that way anyone could jump in and know what was going on so we had to reteach some people so they would do it our way anyways. But all in all its not hard. I grew up on a hobby farm and had family that hunted but not all that much myself. Also try to tag along with other guides as they have so many tips and tricks doing it everyday all season.

Also once you contact them you can even talk with them about the class and ask them if they think it would be a good thing to take it or not. They will asses your skills once you get there anyways and probably not just throw you out there right away. Plus there is all the pre season work in getting camps ready that they can evaluate how well you will fit in. I was usually there 2 weeks to a month before hunting season cutting trails, firewood, horses and so on. The guides hire lots of people each year so they are used to new guys and experienced and good at giving some training.

Personally I think the best way to start is one year/ first part as a wrangler as you will know a lot more about the packing and horse thing which makes life so much easier later on when you are in charge of a string of 10 horses and its just you. IF you have have the skills they will move you into it soon as they always seem to be short good guys. A thing to remember as a guide you do everything as though you are hunting yourself except pack a gun and pull the trigger. But the way to make it the most fun for most customers is to make it feel as though you are hunting with a buddy the whole way, giving them a chance to be apart of the hunt how to approach/stalk and so on, some want to hunt like buddies some are just there to shoot something.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
    "It's not a sport, it's a way of life. Enjoy every moment and every moment is a reward. Taking an animal is the objective but pleasure is found in the entire experience." - J_T

WestCoastHunter
    Any of the three guide schools mentioned ( Dave's in the Yukon and the two in BC run by Reg or Mike) will give you the basics and a feel for the industry. After 3 weeks or a month at any of them you might love the game or have had your fill. But you have to remember if you are green going in your still going to be pretty wet behind the ears still when the coarse ends. The biggest thing needed is try. All 3 of the guys running these schools stay in touch with a handfull of top outfitters and any of the students with ability that the instructors don't hire themselves are referred to other guys in the industry. If you are a hard core, seasoned hunter and took the school to learn horse skills, there is a chance you will guide some the first year. If not you'll be a wrangler. This means the better you are at getting out of bed early, finding belled and hobbled horses in the dark, cutting trail, finding firewood, packing water, cooking if need be,and any other non-glorious job that comes your way, the sooner you will get a chance to guide your own hunter. Another thing a want to be guide should have is a first aid coarse. It's mandatory in the Yukon but not BC.
    Another route to go is write/ email some outfitters and see if you can get on without taking the coarse. Offset the cost of the coarse against wages, and learn from the outfitter and other guides. One thing to remember is you can teach a guy to ride and pack ponies and set up camps, but if he doesn't have HUNT built into him he won't make a top guide. He will just have a pulse as someone already mentioned.
    Good luck.

I just booked with blue creek ..not looking to be guide but I'm looking to open myself to different challenges and able myself to explore more of the Serengeti of the north ... Can't wait !

Some great posts here since the last time I checked. I sent out emails to a number of outfits and have had some positive responses, working on securing something currently. Going to make sure to ask lots of questions, and love every minute of what I'm doing I think for now I am going to wait on the guide school, just looking into some horsemanship training and hopefully get my training starting with a wrangler. If need be in the future I'll do some more research on the guide training.

WestCoastHunter,

How did it all turn out in the past couple years?

"Finding belled and hobbled horses in the dark" day after day can't be under estimated IMHO.

Hunting skill is gleaned after many years hunting that simply can't be taught. It's a tough gig but it is also very rewarding for the those cut out for the job. It takes more than a pulse to cut the mustard otherwise everybody would do it.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

bumpity is all this stuff still relevant? best guide school in 2017?
    Last edited by steelheadSABO; 03-31-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

Hmmm different view...clients who spend $$$ on a hunt want..expect..deserve..experienced knowledgeable guides not everyone who can wrangle a horse knows grizzlies..or sheeeeep"...when they sign up with Joe's sheep adventures..there expecting Joe and his 50 years of knowledge of their targeted sheep species..to arrive and find the guide is new from guide school...
    A in depth understanding of the game in question is mandatory..IMO..
    Hunting knowledge..skills..experience..and then the art of guiding..not all hunters make good guides....however it is a fundemental" requirement to have great hunting knowledge..know the species..then the extra skills required to look after another hunter..with high expectations..camping skills..setups..wrangling..wilderness survival, first aid, laws and regulations, proper game care..skinning..caping".a lot gets crammed in on a 10 day hunt...when the client dropped $60k"on that 10 days...expectations should be lofty..not all hunts will end in game..that is not a successful hunt..most clients will have enough info to know if they received competent value..and a reasonable crack at their trophy.
    Watch a Brad Fry video..he is at the top of his game..goat..moose..sheep..Deer. .never seen him not make quality decisions and his knowledge of his game...the area..tactics..study his every move..these don't develop in 3 weeks..or at a school..
    Every move decision is gained from many many years and hunts..where he goes..where he goes next...why..what the animal is that they are looking at. .even great calling..ie moose when required..all the details add up to a safe..enjoyable..quality hunt...
    Cheers
    Steven