Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanfield, underarmor or MilSurp

Stanfield, underarmor or MilSurp

My wonderful wife wants to buy me something hunting related and what I need more than anything is a warm sweater or jacket. I have a water proof helly Hansen shell and good warm base layers for next to my skin, so I've narrowed my choice down to a Stanfield, an Underarmour hoody or a MilSurp Czech insulated jacket. If you had the choice (keeping in mind all three options are around the same price) which would you choose?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stanfield, underarmor or MilSurp

Wool... go wool any wool is good. Merino wool is great stuff. Light and warm, soft. I use a HH ploy pro next to the skin, wool sweater (various thickness depending on time of year), water proof breathable shell/jacket. Stanies are good but I find I like something with a higher collar better. Personally I stay away from hoodies and anything that has cotton.
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

I should clarify that the UA is their fleece hoody that they market for hunting. Is definitely rather have wool as my pants are thick wool MilSurp, but I can't seem to find a good thick wool jacket. Seems wool is getting harder to find!

http://workboot.com/collections/clot...berg-sweater-3

I have this. It is pretty much TOO warm to hike in, other than on those really cold days. Made in Canada (victoria i think) and is WOOL. I found the price to be good value. bought one for my dad too

If you already have the base layers and the shell then go with the classic Stanfield wool sweater.

I got the under armour hoody for Xmas and it's probably the comfiest hoody I've owned, nice and lite barely feels like you're wearing it and it's warm but not too warm, I find the under armour stuff to be a little pricey as far as hats/hoodies go but the comfort factor makes it worth it for me.

Stany, West Coast Tuxedo/dinner jacket, what ever you want to call it, they are warm, tough, neutral in colour and last a long time. I have hunted in them for 30 years and they are my top layer prior to an outer jacker.

Canadian made to boot, much better than the offshore stuff they charge you a ton of money for.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Just put in an order for a stanny, thanks all for your advice and perspective!

Excellent choice. The stanny is simply the most versatile piece I own. Wear it damn near every day from october through may.

Quote Originally Posted by pin_head View Post
    Excellent choice. The stanny is simply the most versatile piece I own. Wear it damn near every day from october through may.
    I agree. You can't go wrong with that pick.