Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day pack size?

Re: Day pack size?

I have the Eberlestock just one and love it for a multi-dayer but for a day pack in sheep country I find it too heavy. Sure it is fine for a day hunt from the back of my truck but packing in with my Barney and carrying an extra day pack - the weight of the J34 kills me - hence the xlite

30-40 litres is a great size for a day pack but if it doesn't have an external meat packing system it's going to be too small. If you want to put meat inside you will need 60+. Kuiu packs are another great option, I really like mine for longer big hikes. I also have an ox and it's a good strong meat hauler but heavy and doesn't make a great everyday pack. I keep it in the truck and use it for the second trip. I also have a badlands 2800 and it packs smaller deboned packages nicely and was often my goto for short/day trips. My kuiu is fairly new and quickly becoming my favourite though.

Quote Originally Posted by kayjayess View Post
    I have the Eberlestock just one and love it for a multi-dayer but for a day pack in sheep country I find it too heavy. Sure it is fine for a day hunt from the back of my truck but packing in with my Barney and carrying an extra day pack - the weight of the J34 kills me - hence the xlite
    Regardless of the weight of the xlite, tell me you are not packing that in as well as the Barney? Why not just use the Barney all day?

Bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    What i'm gathering is that 30-40 litres is a good size for a day pack no?
    IMO depends on what the expectations are for the day. Early season with the horse or quad close by , 30-40 will do it
    If you packing spotter and tripod plus extra clothes 60-70 may be more comfortable.
    Have had a Kelty Bighorn 3500 for years , recently picked up a Tatonka Yukon 70.
    I buy cheap stuff and it gets me through ,
    If you just have to get it all back on the first trip , add your day pack to a frame like the Camptrails or Wanderer for best flexibility.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Yeah I don't have a quad or anything like that, just a pair of boots and a young back so it's gotta be something I can haul the animal out in one shot.

The MR NICE FRAME pack with the load sling is a great option. Add couple flip top boxes and you are set. You can always add one of their other smaller packs to the system. It wont let you down and its a great flexible platform you can tailor and build on for any application. I love mine!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

I would not consider anything less than 40 liters. You have take into consideration the volume of the items that you pack in with you and then add the volume of the critter you're packing out. Add them together for the volume of the pack size.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I've got a badlands 2800 and it's great u can get a full deer in it no problem
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

I use my Barneys Yukon for everything now a days. At arond 8000 cubic inches it gives me alot of extra room for those long days