Thread: When wearing a pack, where do you put the stuff that usually goes on your belt?

When wearing a pack, where do you put the stuff that usually goes on your belt?

I usually have a leatherman on my belt but I haven't figured out a good place to put it when I'm wearing my hunting pack. Inside the pack isn't convenient but if I put it in a pocket the weight pulls my pants down.

How have you solved this problem?

I'm also thinking of getting a good fixed blade hunting knife but not sure where I'd put that either.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When wearing a pack, where do you put the stuff that usually goes on your belt?

Had the same issue...

I bought a pouch for my Letherman that had a velcro belt loop. I then put it on the waist belt of my back. Some waist belts have webbing just for this. My didn't so the Leatherman is worn "forward" of where I normally carry it (close to the waist belt buckle) but I got used to it and it works fine.

A buddy of mine taped a spare Leatherman pouch to the 1" webbing of his packs shoulder straps. Works fine but the pouch sits under his arm so he has to "cross draw" to get to it...not a big deal though. He also taped a knife sheath to the shoulder strap of his pack "Shwarzenagger Commando" style. Ya...we tease him ...but it works well for him. He first tried duct tape for these "modifications" but he changed to electricians tape. He said it works better because it stretches.

Another buddy wore his Leatherman around his neck...until he took a tumble and the Leatherman flew up and chipped his front teeth!

Re: When wearing a pack, where do you put the stuff that usually goes on your belt?

I wear my utility belt over all the jackets. Knife, saw, flashlight and compass. Thats what we did in the army and I find is the best.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

kinda like this?

I used to wear all that stuff... if it came with a belt loop it went on the belt. Then the loop on my knife broke and I've always found leathermen bulky and uncomfortable... especially when my rain jacket is zipped up. I just bought a 1100ci pack and all that junk is going in there. I'll let you know how it works out. How often do you need your leatherman RIGHT AWAY anyway?

Does the Bat Belt come in Mossy Oak...'Cause if it does I'm going out right now to get me one!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I carry 2, one in a side pack pocket, and the other on the pack waist belt.

x2 on the straps of the waist belt of the pack. I got a spare leatherman case that I leave on the stabilizer straps that run from the back of the waist belt to the pack where it attaches to the waist belt. I just take my leatherman off my belt and transfer it once I'm out of the truck. I also carry a Benchmade Griptilian folder in my pants pocket, along with a lighter, compass, TP and my licence and copies of ID. That way if some how I lose my pack, I still have enough to survive the night.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

Put knife etc inside the pack or fanny pack.
    The World is run by those that show up.

I wear my pack belt over my pants belt. It pushes down on my pants a bit but nothing that keeps me from doing it. I usually have a leatherman and an ammo pouch on my belt.