Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Re: Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Tuchodi prety much covered it, so I will just fill in some points from my perspective.

Jagermeister,
    I enjoyed your Tuchodi River video posting Rock Doctor, seems like quite the rush. The dialogue that is posted to this thread has created a few questions that I would like to pose to you and Tuchodi.
    (1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? My first boat was 16' long and 7'4" wide with a 115/80 hp Outboard jet drive. The boat I run now is 18'4" long and 6' wide with a 175 hp Merc Sport Jet. Having run both, I would have to say that I prefer the inboard SJ, but the OB does have it's place.The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km, (2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? Kledo Boat launch, North of FN I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine. From the Boat Launch to Tuchodi Lake is 130kms (GPS track), and I do usually leave a bit of fuel along the way.
    (3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? Hide it good, but it all comes down to the Honor System. I have had gas go missing a few times, and I had to "borrow" gas to get home one time from a friends stash. I made a special trip back up the next morning to replace it. (there are a couple guys, that are well known to the locals, that seem to leave a trail of empty gas cans in there wake. A few yrs ago one of these guys was set up, and he took the bait [Sugared Gas]. He ended up siezing his engine, and not knowing the cause of his engine failure, he had another engine Choppered in to his boat, installed it, and headed home only to sieze that one too ) With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station. This idea has been tossed around and debated around more than one campfire. (PS, 20-30 boats is a very low estimate)
    (4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek? No, although I have heard a few conflicting stories)
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Thumbs up Re: Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Thanks for the very informative replies Tuchodi and Rock Doctor, great post.
    Heart warming to see a badass get his. It's too bad that some schmuck has to take advantage of others to warrant that action, but cest la vie. You mention skidooing fuel in from Trutch, that must have been quite the endeavour.
    This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry?
    Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore.
    Like everyone else, the Tuchodi area looks like a place that I would like to visit, but it's not very likely to occur unless I get "lotto-lucky". So, if you don't mind, post your videos and I, along with others will get to see the area that way.
    Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Jagermeister,
    Heart warming to see a badass get his. It's too bad that some schmuck has to take advantage of others to warrant that action, but cest la vie. You mention skidooing fuel in from Trutch, that must have been quite the endeavour.
    This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? Not substantially, but you will notice that there is less. You will really start to notice it when you get above where Reimer Creek and Puder Creek run into the Muskwa. It's still easily navigable beyond this point, but IMHO, this is where you really start to notice the lack of water. As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry? I have not heard that name in years, don't know.
    Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore. I use "Marked Fuel" from the UFA, and it's running about $1.02/liter at the moment. (anyone can pull into the UFA and fill up with marked gas, just don't get cought filling your truck)
    Like everyone else, the Tuchodi area looks like a place that I would like to visit, but it's not very likely to occur unless I get "lotto-lucky". So, if you don't mind, post your videos and I, along with others will get to see the area that way.
    Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again. I'm not sure what you have seen from me so far, but I think have 6 vid clips related to the Tuchodi area posted on youtube, and some other stuff as well, enjoy.
    On a side note, the Muskwa River has broke up, and I managed to be the first to dump a boat in there this yr. Had to dodge alot of ice flows, but had a ton of fun.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister
    This brings to mind another question. I think that Rock Doctor mentioned running up to Kluachesi Creek. The question is, does the water flow in the Muskwa diminish substanialy after you pass the Tuchodi? As an after thought, whatever happened to Trutch Mountain Jerry?
    Speaking of gas prices, we're $1.109 here in Kamloops yesterday and I did see some diesel priced at $0.999 at the Superstore.
    Again, thanks for the "ride", we must do it again.
    I took gas in 3 differant years back in the early 70's. We used an 1968 Aline SkiDoo twin track to break trail. Never even thought of pictures back then we just were played out pulling and pushing and keeping warm as we always got lots of snow and one trip it was around minus 35 every day. There is still quite a bit of water in the Muskwa a long way above the Tuchodi (as the tuchodi is somtimes call a creek). I havent been passed the Big Bend on the Muskwa for about 20 years so not sure how it is now, maybe RockDoctor can comment. As for Trutch Jerry I saw him aprox 10 years ago when we stopped in Whisky Point in the Pine Pass. He has purchased the Restauant motel there and was doing very well (he was as Big as life).