Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Re: Tuchodi River last fall (Vid)

Thanks for the video ,i always wanted to see some of that river ,looks like open country ,would love to hunt the area. hunter47.

those are great videos, can't wait to see more
    Animals are my friends, my friends taste good bbq

looks amazing. wish i had jetboat and the means to get up there. how's the fishing along the river? i would have to wet a line...
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

All the clear running creeks that run into the Muskwa are good fishing (I once caught 3 Dolly's(Bull Trout) in 3 casts, one was 17lbs and the other 2 were 16lbs. This was in the Spring, at the mouth of Sheep Creek.
    The fishing in the Tuchodi is very good, from the Mouth (into the Muskwa) all the way up to the upper Lake. I use mostly Flys in the river, and Spinners or Jigs in the lakes (white or blue works well)
    Hunting in the Morning/evening, and fishing during the day makes for a pretty good trip.

RD

Hey RockDoctor if you are up the Tuchodi between Sept 15 and Oct 15 stop in for Coffee. We are up there every year and camp just above Deaddog Creek. Just looked at the Video's you have on Photobucket and it brings back good memories.

tuchodi
    Hey RockDoctor if you are up the Tuchodi between Sept 15 and Oct 15 stop in for Coffee. We are up there every year and camp just above Deaddog Creek. Just looked at the Video's you have on Photobucket and it brings back good memories.
    Tuchodi,
    Always willing to stop and warm-up, especially once October rolls in. Is there anything specific about your camp that I could use to pick you out of the croud?
    EG, Camo Dome Tent, or Color of your Boat, ect.

RD

1/2 mile upstream from the mouth of Dead Dog creek rite across from the first gravel bank. Usually 4 boats parked in the back water.

wow...that's all i can say...looks and sounds like paradise. pretty sure i'm gonna be planning a trip up there eventually.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

I enjoyed your Tuchodi River video posting Rock Doctor, seems like quite the rush. The dialogue that is posted to this thread has created a few questions that I would like to pose to you and Tuchodi.
    (1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km, (2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine.
    (3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station.
    (4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister
    I enjoyed your Tuchodi River video posting Rock Doctor, seems like quite the rush. The dialogue that is posted to this thread has created a few questions that I would like to pose to you and Tuchodi.
    (1) What powers your boats, inboards or outboards and is there a preference? The distance from Dead Dog Creek confluence to the Tochodi confluence with the Muskwa is approximately 32 km,My first trip up the Muskwa in the 60's was with a 50 HP Outboard jet on a 26' Teslin Canoe, we used a lot of gas and it was to say the least very interesting. We traveled all the way from Ft Nelson. I now have a 18' boat with an inboard Mercury SportJet.(2) do you travel all the way from Ft Nelson to the Tochodi R or do you use some other drop in point? I'm thinking fuel logistics here as that is a considerable distance from Ft Nelson, it's even quite the distance from around Steamboat Creek or Tetsa River, close to 100km to Dead Dog Creek I would imagine. We started using an old logging road at Kleado Creek in the late 70's and that is what we use today. It cuts off aprox 50 river miles from Ft Nelson so that helps with our fuel now.
    (3) Do you have a fuel cache along the way and if so, how do you prevent someone from dipping into your supply or is it just 'good ole backwoods honor system? With 20 to 30 boats torquing up and down the river, that has to add up to a lot of fuel, maybe some one should set up a gas station. We used to leave fuel along the river in the old days as our boats and motors were not as fuel efficient and the rule of thumb was burn 45 gal's upstream and drop of 20 for down stream. We even used to haul gas in the winter with SkiDoo's from aprox Mile 200 Trutch accross country and leave it at the Muskwa to be picked up next year. We never used to have a problem with any gas left in the old day's but I know of some gas now left by friends just on their way up that have come back and found it used with no note or any indication who used it. Everyone on the river used to help each other out and no one had a problem having their gas used if it was an emergency and there was always a note and some money or a date when they would be back with replacement gas so you wouldn't be caught short yourself, but it seams in todays world you can't trust that to be true. I know it only takes one to make it bad for everyone and I still believe that the large majority of Riverboaters are real good people and I know the ones that stop in our camp for coffee are all great and would or have helped anyone in trouble. We use aprox 100 Gals of gas for each boat when we are up there for the month of Sept and at Ft Nelson's Prices thats a fare hunk of money.
    (4) And last but not least, do you know the story behind the naming of Dead Dog Creek?
    I have asked that question myself and the only person ever to give me an answer was Don Peck(Trapper and Guide) who lived up on the Tuchodi as early as the 40's, he said it was named by the Indians from that region but didnt know the exact story.