Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spotting scope recommendations

Re: Spotting scope recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Make sure you have enuff $$ let over to buy a good quality tripod, a $1000.00 spotting scope mounted on a $75.00 tripod is going to be a $75.00 spotting scope once the wind starts to blow .
    I hate the wind, even with a good tripod it sucks. paying for this hobbie is starting to sound like a second job is needed!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
    I hate the wind, even with a good tripod it sucks. paying for this hobbie is starting to sound like a second job is needed!!
    Your just going to have to work smarter not harder ... ..
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Your just going to have to work smarter not harder ... ..
    I hear you!!

Cool Re: Spotting scope recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    3s always look great......... when you compare them to a 1
    Yeah it was a huge step ,have a great pair of Zeiss bino's and really could not justify that much on a spotting scope ,this seems to be pretty nicely finished and was out at looking at Brant today, great optics ,and did get a good tripod although not the 999.99 one they had ,my goat hunting days are behind me ,now just gotta make sure that 6th tine is there....

And by the way picked up an hd 65 mm swaro with 20-60 and case in great shape last fall for $1000 - the deals are out there.
    Where the heck did you find that. In the market for one myself. A lot of the reviews in the bird watching and long range forums are saying the Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD stacks up pretty well against Swaro/Zeiss/Leica. Tempted to pull the trigger soon but I've got a few months before it's really necessary.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    Where the heck did you find that. In the market for one myself. A lot of the reviews in the bird watching and long range forums are saying the Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD stacks up pretty well against Swaro/Zeiss/Leica. Tempted to pull the trigger soon but I've got a few months before it's really necessary.
    IIRC the leupold's usually go on sale in the spring. It is very good glass for the price.

Will keep my eyes out for a deal on one of the 'big three'. They're always out there - local guy who had upgraded to the new swaro.

Kowa stuff is not to be over-looked. Buddy bought one from Hermit and it worked well - FOV wasn't as large but definitely good glass. No problems picking out three legals in the band of five.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

IIRC the leupold's usually go on sale in the spring. It is very good glass for the price.

Will keep my eyes out for a deal on one of the 'big three'. They're always out there - local guy who had upgraded to the new swaro.

Kowa stuff is not to be over-looked. Buddy bought one from Hermit and it worked well - FOV wasn't as large but definitely good glass. No problems picking out three legals in the band of five.
    More or less the objective for me. Have seen some good reviews about Kowa. Tough to beat the size of the GR and the more I read the more I'm impressed.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    More or less the objective for me. Have seen some good reviews about Kowa. Tough to beat the size of the GR and the more I read the more I'm impressed.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Spotting.html

I see the Kowa as having a 66mm objective compared to the 60mm of the Leupold and still being lighter and they say smaller but I find that hard to believe. The TSN-664 with the 30WA eye piece is a good bang for the buck. Is that the price for the 12-40x60mm HD Leupold?? Seems expensive.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Spotting.html
    Last edited by pescado; 02-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.

I just bought a Vortex Razor HD and I'm extremely impressed. For the price I could hardly pass it up. I compared them with both Zeiss and Swarovski scopes, and they held their own! I am definitely one of those that would buy good the first time and not cheap out, all of the rest of my optics are Swarovski and I feel this new spotter is right there. I'm extremely impressed I have to say.