Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope recommendations

Re: Spotting scope recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Don't waste your $600. Sell a rifle or a quad and do it right the first time. The most important tools to me are boots, binos, and spotting scope. The rest is gravy. If you really need one this year and can't come up with the money, buy a toilet paper roll, put some Syran wrap over each end and look through it. I would sell my $2000 rifle and buy a savage package before I went hunting without a good spotting scope. Look in the states or eBay or Craigslist for a used Swaro or Zeiss. Good deals are out there. I think I paid $1300 for mine.

Toilet paper roll with Saran wrap!! Lol. That's awesome!!

Actually, paper towel rolls work better, but if all you can afford is a toilet paper roll, it'll work too..........

Someday I'd like to try out one of those fancy Christmas wrap tubes.....

I used a bushnell elite for a while, sold it to a buddy for 200 bucks, they are ok and better than nothing. I got fed up when I couldn't judge a goat at 600 yards and when another guy could count points on a muley with his swaro binos on a tripod and I couldn't with my spotter. I got a swarovski stm 65 with a 20-60 eye piece, now I can see details with edges where before it was colours that faded together.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

That says it all - when someone can see better through their binos than you can with your spotter..... well you know.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Don't waste your $600. Sell a rifle or a quad and do it right the first time. The most important tools to me are boots, binos, and spotting scope. The rest is gravy. If you really need one this year and can't come up with the money, buy a toilet paper roll, put some Syran wrap over each end and look through it. I would sell my $2000 rifle and buy a savage package before I went hunting without a good spotting scope. Look in the states or eBay or Craigslist for a used Swaro or Zeiss. Good deals are out there. I think I paid $1300 for mine.
    x2, I am young and am hopefully only going to have to buy once, I think its a good plan. I found a swaro 20-60 x 65 for 1000, so the deals are out there. bino's and boots are top of the list for me and the spotter is close behind.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    Angled for me, just my preference. Straight might be nice if your above, and looking down on your game, but that's not usually the case for me.. I find angled comfy for seating well glassing.
    x2
    go angled.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

ive said this many times.. things you do not cheap out on are...boots...optics....tent....pack....

buy nice or buy twice....the items listed above are some of the very few things in this world that the higher the price the better the quality....

Swarovski spotters are tougher, Zeiss spotters have better glass, those are your 2 choices and yes ive abused them all...

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ipers-spotters

Although I had extremely poor "luck" with the low end Vortex Impact spotter, I upgraded to the 15-45x60 non HD Viper this year and find it to be very good for the money. The Nechako sale (if still on) is a hell of a good deal. I have the angled version and find it very easy to use. It didn't take long to get to the point where I can now set the spotter up on the tripod and almost instantly find what I'm looking for in the field of view.

My .02 cents..
    Bought one through Nechako really a sweet piece compared to my ww1 vintage bushnell

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Bought one through Nechako really a sweet piece compared to my ww1 vintage bushnell
    3s always look great......... when you compare them to a 1
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Make sure you have enuff $$ let over to buy a good quality tripod, a $1000.00 spotting scope mounted on a $75.00 tripod is going to be a $75.00 spotting scope once the wind starts to blow .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......