Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope recommendations

Spotting scope recommendations

I'm in the market for my first spotting scope. It will be use on pack in hunts for all kinds of critters. Of course budget is a factor the $600 area is where in looking.i really don't know much about spotting scopes so any experiences and info are welcome.

What power should I look for
    offset or straight through
    max weight
    what brands are good for budget price
    which brands to stay away from

if you got one for sale I would be interested as well

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting scope recommendations

I have a bushnell elite 15-45 power that unfortunately has not been used much at all in the past 5 years. It is a good scope, there are many better ones but there are many worse ones out there. Clear views and packs well folded up with the small tripod I have for it. I am looking to sell it for $250 plus shipping or pick up if you are interested. If you want to spend the $600 the vortex line is decent to look through. Go to a store and see what fits your eye the best, you may find big differences in the way one person describes clarity and ease of use from one scope to another. Good luck

Oh scope is in like new condition with boxes, covers, papers and folding tripod.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ipers-spotters

Although I had extremely poor "luck" with the low end Vortex Impact spotter, I upgraded to the 15-45x60 non HD Viper this year and find it to be very good for the money. The Nechako sale (if still on) is a hell of a good deal. I have the angled version and find it very easy to use. It didn't take long to get to the point where I can now set the spotter up on the tripod and almost instantly find what I'm looking for in the field of view.

My .02 cents..
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Think a vortex or leupold would keep you happy in that price range. I bought a leupold ventana for around 400 bucks. Worked perfect, and I abused the hell out of it. One day when money is not a issue I'm sure I'll own a Swarovski, but for now this scope easily meets my needs.

From the link I posted above:

Vortex Viper 20-60x80 VPR-80A angled
    Regular $999.99
    HBC SALE $ $550 shipped taxes included
    NIB
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vortex Viper 15-45x65 VPR-60a Angled
    Regular $ 599.99
    HBC special $375.00 shipped taxes included
    NIB

[IMG][/IMG]

To order please email Brenden@nechakooutdoors.ca or call the shop at 250-562-3597
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

I've got the viper and really like it. The glass doesn't match my Swarovski binoculars, but neither did the price. You can't beat their warranty either.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

This looks like a heck of a deal. I would again go to your closest hunting store and look through a couple and if it fits get it. Good price on those 2.

From the link I posted above:

Vortex Viper 20-60x80 VPR-80A angled
    Regular $999.99
    HBC SALE $ $550 shipped taxes included
    NIB
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vortex Viper 15-45x65 VPR-60a Angled
    Regular $ 599.99
    HBC special $375.00 shipped taxes included
    NIB

[IMG][/IMG]

To order please email Brenden@nechakooutdoors.ca or call the shop at 250-562-3597

Nikon ed50, pentax 65ed and the Nikon fieldscope iii non-hd are 3 I would look at in your price range as well as the Vortex. Research your eyepieces and get the one you want.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ipers-spotters

Although I had extremely poor "luck" with the low end Vortex Impact spotter, I upgraded to the 15-45x60 non HD Viper this year and find it to be very good for the money. The Nechako sale (if still on) is a hell of a good deal. I have the angled version and find it very easy to use. It didn't take long to get to the point where I can now set the spotter up on the tripod and almost instantly find what I'm looking for in the field of view.

My .02 cents..
    I have a 15x45 non HD, good spotter for the money or should say its a good spotter. Not in the league of a Kowa though.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @