Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swaro Eyepiece recommendation?

Re: Swaro Eyepiece recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I had the choice, took the 20-60. I like the clarity of high power at long distance. And as far as FOV, it is only relevant if you are birding at high power at close distances in the range of <100'.
    Interesting Jagr. Totally the opposite than I would have thought. I think of FOV as being more advantages at greater ranges. Have to do some research tonight.

STS/ATS 65 STS/ATS 80
    FOV@1000yds 118-66 ft. / 138-89 ft. 118-66 ft / 138-89 ft
    (20-60X)/(25-50X) (20-60X)/(25-50X)
    Look at this portion of the chart. At 1000 yards and 20X, the FOV is 118' for both scopes with the 20-60x and 66' at 60X. With the same scopes and at the same distance and power at 25X renders an FOV of 138' and 89' at 50X.
    Bear in mind the distance of 1000 yards. As the power is decreased, the FOV starts to expand.
    At the respective low power of each eyepiece, you can see that the 25-50X eyepiece holds a 20' advantage in FOV over the 20-60X eyepiece and a 23' advantage at their repective higher powers. Not that much but it is at 1000 yards and it will be increasingly wider at closer distances.
    Suppose that you're scoping a goat across the canyon. The distance is 1000 yards and it seems to be large enough to be a billy. You have the power cranked on your ATS65HD to 50X, (you have the 25-50X eyepiece) You have the goat centered in the lense. Your view 44½' to either side or under or over. That's only 11½' greater than the 20-60X eyepiece cranked to it's maximum power. The horn detail revealed at +10 power may be the determining factor in whether you continue the pursuit of this goat or not.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 02-06-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Hmm I have the 20x60..and the angled 65 love that setup

Cheers

Srupp

I have a Swaro spotter with the 20-60 as well. Mine is straight. No problem counting annuli if the sun is behind me. I rarely go over 40, as heat waves seem to distort the image too much. Heat waves can be a real PITA.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Have leica 20x60 and I am thinking 15x45 would be more practical. Often scan at 20 but 15 would be better, then zoom into 60 and heat waves and distortion play havoc on the intended target...
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by eastkoot View Post
    Have leica 20x60 and I am thinking 15x45 would be more practical. Often scan at 20 but 15 would be better, then zoom into 60 and heat waves and distortion play havoc on the intended target...
    turn off the truck
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Nothing but shit and abuse!!! Quit pickin on the old retired guy
    Last edited by eastkoot; 02-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My local shop guy says he's never had anyone ask for the 25-50... The two scopes I've ever owned go to 40 and 45, so maybe the real question is how useful 60 is for the most part. I understand the heat wave issue just fine, so as long as the conditions are right all is fine. I just wonder how dark things get at high magnification other than on the days with ideal conditions...

I'll be headed to the store over the next few weeks to test as best as one can in the stores... I'll report back. Thanks for the info!

TJ

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The one advantage you'll have with the 60 power is to be able to count rings possibly a little bit better. This is going to happen once or twice a year, and only when hunting stones. Other than that, most of the day long, those last 10x are useless because of the mirage.

I do a lot of glassing through the scope itself. I can work over a whole mountain side for a bedded sheep or deer using a grid pattern. With a wider field of view you will see more animals. Its just covering more ground. This you will use on mule deer, moose, big horn, or many other animals. If you spot an animal or movement with your binos, you will be able to acquire the animal faster in the scope with a wider angle of view also.

IMO those 10 power are hardly necessary on the 20-60. The glass is better in the 25-50 which is why its more money to begin with. If someone wanted to buy my 20-60, I would gladly sell it and change it for a 25-50.

Go test them both out, side by side in low light. You will notice the difference. Most of the guys commenting on here anyways bought the 20-60 before the 25-50 even came out, so you can discount their opinion too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

The glass is better in the 25-50 which is why its more money to begin with.
    How did you make that determination, just by the price?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"