Thread: From Alberta and BC bound :)

Question From Alberta and BC bound :)

Hey folks, New guy around this forum. Im hoping to head west this spring (april 24-28th) and try my luck at a turkey. I do have an alterior motive though. Since ill have the game bird and outta province license. My plan is to go for spring turkey, then come back in the fall to the ok valley area and chase roosters and quail with my GSP. I guess my questions are. For turkey what tips can be offered to locate them?? Im thinking of the east koots area for them, is this a good area??? I have some family in the Keremeos area and am curious as to how the access/permission is for hunting birds around there?? Growing up my grandparents had an orchird just outside of Oliver and remember quail were all over and the pheasants were plenty. Iv been on the bird/dog game for 2 1/2 seasons and I love it!!!! Cant wait to head back with the dog But my problem is not knowing the area really at all. Do they have conservation sites a person can hunt like we do in alberta?? What about county landownership maps?? ANY and all tips, opinions and suggestions will be welcomed

2. Site Sponsor

Re: From Alberta and BC bound :)

koots are good for turkey, not sure about keromeos but somehow I doubt they are there

For upland gamebirds, local contacts such as your family will be the best bet for land access. For instance there will be quail and pheasant in the Oliver area but the problem will be in getting permission to hunt them in the areas where shooting is permitted. Unfortunately lack of foresight in B.C. to set up conservation sites which allow hunting for upland gamebirds such as in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
    For upland gamebirds, local contacts such as your family will be the best bet for land access. For instance there will be quail and pheasant in the Oliver area but the problem will be in getting permission to hunt them in the areas where shooting is permitted. Unfortunately lack of foresight in B.C. to set up conservation sites which allow hunting for upland gamebirds such as in Alberta.
    Do they have county landownership maps like we do here in alberta?? Sucks trying to get permission but when you do, you can get into some really awesome hunting. I have been in contact with a few folks on here who are willing to help me out, or even take me and my dog along. The fall trip is quite a ways away so Ill have some time to get my ducks er pheasants in a row lol

There are landowner maps that show private & Crown and landowner name.. but they aren't cheap. Some sporting goods stores and surveying companies have them. There is also something called iMap BC on the web... sort of like a GIS program with a zillion different layers. It works well if you can actually find the info layer that you're looking for. I made some Crown land maps for the Kamloops area when I went Chukar hunting a couple years ago.

It's not too hard to find a place to go turkey hunting. Many are on/near farmland where you'll need permission, but also are in forested areas and Crown grazing pastures where permission isn't required. Quail & pheasants (and Okanagan Chukar / huns) are a different matter: Most are frustratingly abundant around orchards and rural properties where permission is pretty much impossible to get unless you know somebody.... just my experience

Quote Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post
    There are landowner maps that show private & Crown and landowner name.. but they aren't cheap. Some sporting goods stores and surveying companies have them. There is also something called iMap BC on the web... sort of like a GIS program with a zillion different layers. It works well if you can actually find the info layer that you're looking for. I made some Crown land maps for the Kamloops area when I went Chukar hunting a couple years ago.

It's not too hard to find a place to go turkey hunting. Many are on/near farmland where you'll need permission, but also are in forested areas and Crown grazing pastures where permission isn't required. Quail & pheasants (and Okanagan Chukar / huns) are a different matter: Most are frustratingly abundant around orchards and rural properties where permission is pretty much impossible to get unless you know somebody.... just my experience
    Thanks that iMapBC is a good piece of info.