Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired Bear Spray

Re: Expired Bear Spray

Use as a practice can.
    wear some gloves & goggles
    ( in case of wind etc)

Yup, golden opportunity to practice your quick fingers and reaction in bear encounters. Make sure you time yourself. Good to know how quick you can react.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

[QUOTE=Ringo 7MM;1456279]
    Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    take it out in the bush and use it as a practice can.
    it's not often that one gets to shoot their can off, it's not really a situation you "want" to be in.
    it's always a good idea to take an expired can and practice range with it.

BradB already said this, I guess you like stealing other peoples thunder, you should read what River Otter has for his Quote from brambles at the bottom of his posts.
    get off my back.
    you attack every single post that I make in every thread.
    quit being a shit-disturber.
    learn from your ban.

We fired off a couple old cans, one only shot for 1/4 of the time as the other, kinda scary really, hopefully it was just the cans age. My bro in law got a little mist in his face and I got some on my fingers and then inadvertently touched my lips. It tastes like hot sauce, good flavor but a hot burn. My bro in law said his face got tingly. It was informative, to be effective the bear would have to be within 15 feet in dead calm air and 8 to 10 feet in any breeze, awfully close.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I sprayed almost half a can at a black bear 15 feet away then emptied the can for second dose at 12 feet away. It didn't do much to the bear, kinda made him sneeze and he did a 360 spin to avoid the cloud around him. After the can was empty the bear just kept tilting his head sideways and trying to walk closer. So I shot him with my rifle, he rolled back from the shot and died quickly. He was a typical northern black bear not big but he would've still won a fight against me. After my adrenaline wore off I started coughing repeatedly, almost puked, my nose, mouth and eyes were burning for a good 20 minutes. I only got a little of the cloud I had sprayed. I was going sheep hunting and stopped in a small creek to load up on my water supply. There were trees and thick brush all around and very little wind. The can had over a year before it expired, it had lots of spray in it and a good amount of pressure. I still carry bear spray with me. Mostly for when I'm tenting it as its easier to swing a can around then it is to swing a rifle when your suddenly woke up. I think bear spray only buys you some time to get your poop in a group and start shooting. The seal in the can is what expires not the spray, its to prevent an accidental discharge as the seal looses its properties.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    We fired off a couple old cans, one only shot for 1/4 of the time as the other, kinda scary really, hopefully it was just the cans age. My bro in law got a little mist in his face and I got some on my fingers and then inadvertently touched my lips. It tastes like hot sauce, good flavor but a hot burn. My bro in law said his face got tingly. It was informative, to be effective the bear would have to be within 15 feet in dead calm air and 8 to 10 feet in any breeze, awfully close.
    This is what I mean when I say you shouldn't carry expired spray. A can that may have a 15 foot range when new may only have 4-6 feet after it expires. As has been said, the expiry is for the seal and I think that as the seal degrades you lose some of the propellant.
    As far as the example with the charging Black bear, the spray realistically needs to hit a bear square in the face to be effective so they have to be getting within 10 feet or less if they're really motivated. In all reality, most folk on this forum would probably have shot the bear long before it gor that close.

Spice up a big ole pot of chilli or jambalaya with it.

I'm not a fan of OC in the outdoors, it is more likely to incapacitate you than a bear. The smaller ones usually shoot a stream and are more reliable in a breeze. The bigger ones tend to spray a fog pattern that is really succeptable to wind.

Shake the can up really well and you and a buddy should spray each other so you know what to expect if you use it and do get contaminated. That is the reason LEO's get sprayed. The main reaction is incapacitation and panic. Establish a physical task that involves running somewhere and performing a task like hitting something on a rope with a bat. The idea is that you'll learn that it won't kill you to get sprayed and that you can still fight off a bear.

don't forget to film it!

then have a cold shower with your clothes on (don't wash it all onto your nuts) when it seems to be stabilized switch to the hottest water you can stand to get it out of your pores.

After that you'll probably just use your gun or a big stick to fight off bears!

I'd throw it in a fire and then shoot it, see what happens.......seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I'd throw it in a fire and then shoot it, see what happens.......seriously!
    How a bout you give me your address, I'll mail it to you and you video what happens.
    Seriously.