Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies

Re: Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies

Mikey i tried it a different way for cooking and turned out amazing.

poached in 180 degree water for 15 minutes then into the smoker at 120 for 45 to dry out, added cherry/apple chips and bumped it up to 150 for half hr then up to 175 for an hour.

Turned out freaking amazing !! the other half doesnt like the smoke flavour to much so i found if i poach them first then dry, onto an hr or so of smoke the flavour is still there but not over powering.
    Last edited by Gone_Fishin_; 01-12-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Good to hear. It sure is nice being able to cut into them and see those lovely chunks of cheese and pepper. I have to order more casings as I was forced to use some collagen ones for the last few, so I will try to get some of that high temp cheese at the same time.

I did the math while vacuum packing the 80 pound batch and ended up with almost 300 smokies. Also did 30 pounds of garlic sausage but had to wait until the next day to fit it in the smoker.

My whole house smells like a deli, which I don't mind too much.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Beauty of a smoker you got there. Nice lookn smokies too.

This looks amazing! I just did a batch of pepperoni but definitely wants try this recipe next time. Hopefully on a spring bear.

How long do you smoke the sausages for and what type of wood chips do you like? Are you using hog casings?

Thanks!

Smoke them as long as you want. A few hours is usually good enough depending on how well you can control your smoker temperature and how smokey you like your smokies.

I'm not very picky about the wood either, as the flavour of the spices and other ingredients overpowers any of the unique smoke flavour, compared to something like a basic smoked fish.

Hog casings all day! I had to use collagen ones for the last 15 pounds of this batch and I hate them, they tear way to easy, don't handle or link well, just not a fan of them at all.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Thanks for the info. Just starting to get into making my own stuff. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Ya, Mikey, I have to say that's one fine looking smoker. Looks good and makes a fine product as well. Who could ask for more?
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Great recipe. Just made a 10# batch using some of my fall bear. I dont think it will last long, will probably be making another batch soon!!!

I've been holding off on this recipe until I could get the no-melt cheese. Visited Stuffers in Langley today and bought 5 lbs of pre-cubed no-melt cheddar for $38. Typical ratio is 1 lb cheese for every 10 lbs of meat so this should be good for a 50 lb batch of smokies. I'll post the results of the cheese product when I get it done.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

It's an amazing recipe MR! Highly recommend it to anyone. I bumped up the bacon and added some finely chopped Thai peppers for a little additional heat. The no melt cheese from Stuffers performs exactly as advertised. Made 20 lbs altogether which equates to 96 man sized smokies. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. Without a doubt, the best smokie I've ever had.

I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25