Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies

Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies

I have mentioned these in a few threads and decided to post the recipe. If you like it please send 10% of your batch to me. If you don't like it... please send it all to me.

The original recipe was for a smoked venison polish sausage. It was modified by my father decades ago to produce an excellent garlic sausage. Further modified by myself several years ago as a smokie experiment.

Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies
    Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 cups water
    6 tbsp. salt
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. black pepper
    2 tsp. onion powder
    5 cloves garlic
    2 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1
    8 lbs venison
    2 lbs regular pork trimmings
    3/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
    2 cups cubed cheese (frozen prior to stuffing)
    1/2 package of bacon (chopped and cooked)

Grind pork and venison then mix all ingredients well. I typically whisk the spices and cure in the water which helps distribute them more when you mix the meat. Stuff into casings. Hang sausage to dry at room temperature for about 45 minutes after stuffing. Place in smokehouse preheated at 120F with dampers open to allow drying for another 45 minutes. Gradually adjust smoker to 160-170F with dampers open. Smoke until internal temperatures reach 152F. The bacon, cheese and peppers can be modified to desired taste. You can substitute jarred hot peppers.

Notes: Immediately place in a cold water bath until internal temperature reaches 110F. Then hang to bloom for a few hours. Some smaller smokers may have a difficult time reaching the desired internal temperature, so you can just place the sausage in hot water (not boiling water) until temperature is reached.

Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bacon-Cheese-Jalapeno Smokies

thanks, looks good. I am going to give it a go.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I wonder if there is a way to make the cheese stay chunky in the sausage? I just made 60lbs of chicken sausage from the chickens I butchered a little while ago...I put cheese in some of them, but it's pretty hard to discern it...the sausage is good, but I think next time I make chicken sausage I will add more fat...tiny bit dry. I would still like to smoke them but don't own a smoker...

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

Yes there is a better way to do the cheese. You want high temperature cheese. This way it won't run out of your product or just disperse through.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23895.0

I personally haven't looked for it in canada yet as I just found out about it too. If anyone knows where, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Wow, those look awesome!
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

In my post I noted that the cheese is frozen. So I cube the cheese (around 1/2 inch cubes, maybe smaller) then lay them flat onto a baking sheet and put them into the freezer. Once they are frozen you can put store them in a freezer bag and they won't stick together. This prevents a bunch of them from sticking together and giving you a giant burning cheese explosion. They are the last thing that gets mixed in before stuffing so the cheese cubes retain their shape. It also works better with a plunger style stuffer or a larger diameter auger type that won't mush the cheese on the way in. I can cut into the finished product and see the cheese cubes, but as Big Boar mentioned, they can get runny when hot so I try not to completely scorch the smokie when cooking it, and let it cool down a bit before eating.

I too would love to find the high temp cheese. This is the first time I have heard of it.
    Last edited by Mikey Rafiki; 01-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Mikey,

Are these meant to be cooked before eating or are they cured by the Prague Powder No. 1?
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Yeah my grinder is 2.5 hp --and the auger mushes the cheese up, even if frozen...Maybe if I used the coarse triangle chopper on the last grind it would help...cause the cheese is TOO dispersed, no chance it will burn you.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    Mikey,

Are these meant to be cooked before eating or are they cured by the Prague Powder No. 1?
    When using the correct amount of Prague Powder No. 1, which is widely accepted as 2 tsp. per 10lbs, then they should be considered safe to eat once the internal temperature is 152F. However, the temperatures and duration of smoking described need to be followed in order for the cure to work properly.

The sausage must also be refrigerated or frozen afterwards to prevent spoiling since it is not a dry cured variety.

If you are still uncertain or weary you can always place the sausage in a hot water bath after smoking until it reaches 170F, which is the temperature to fully cook the pork. Then follow up with the cold water bath. I have done this before and not noticed any difference in quality.

Thanks for the tip.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!