Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Games

Senior Games

I am told that participation in archery at the last senior summer games was low and if the numbers don't increase then this venue will be dropped.
    I want to encourage all seniors ( 55 and older ) to thinkm about attending the senior games in Nanaimo this year so we do not lose this chance for all of us to compete. I live in Quesnel and will doing my dammdest to get there. Please encourage all your club members of age to register. See you in Nanaimo. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Senior Games

Sorry should have stated it is a long way off , Sept. 12 to 15 I believe , but wanted to get archers thinking about it now. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Glad to see you got the ball rolling here, Mike. There's no doubt that anyone old like us who hasn't shot in the Seniors Games is missing out on a terrific experience. I've been in each of the last 3 and they've all been great. There are numerous other events besides archery as well, everything from cribbage to hockey.

The site for lots of information is www.bcseniorsgames.org

Note that the province is divided into various zones and each zone is responsible for organizing their participants. They all have 'qualifying' shoots, which are mostly nothing more than a formality and a good opportunity to get experience in the format. But you have to shoot in the qualifier and these are usually held somewhere in the zone about late May or June.

There are also several age categories to keep the playing field even. I heartily encourage any and all BC archers 55 years old and up to jump into this with both feet. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has about this.

BTW, you can see pictures of last years event on the BCAA website at www.archeryassociation.bc.ca Click on 'photos' on the left margin, then go to 2006 Seniors Games.

Thanks again, Mike.

I will make a note on my calendar, 2037, sounds like a good year.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of showin up safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, hunting rifle in one hand and shifter knob in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by scoot
    I will make a note on my calendar, 2037, sounds like a good year.
    A ha ha ha ha... smart arsed young pup!!!

I might just get there... do they have a compound bow category?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit
    A ha ha ha ha... smart arsed young pup!!!

I might just get there... do they have a compound bow category?
    Does a bear poop in the woods?

Does Pinochio have a wodden tool?

Does a Teddy Bear have cotton balls?

Keep it going for another 2 years and i wiil come

Hermit -- they better have, that is my category and my wifes. Also as stated they are broken up into age categorys so as I understand it a guy like me 60+ doesn't shoot against a young 55 year old. As Canuck2 states go to the BC senior games site and check out the rules. It isn't going to matter about the rules if we don't have enough archers participate. Nanaimo this year and Prince George in 2008. I know there are a lot of seniors out there, I see them at 3D shoots, so lets support the senior games. Mike

Bow Walker Guest

I'm going to try to make the qualifyers and if luck is with me, I'll maybe be in Nan.

Should I dye my hair grey(er)??

BowWalker, just HAVING hair is good enough. Hope to see you there, too. Will depend on whether I'm back in shooting shape by then, but I'm determined.

Sealevel, I don't think it has been determined yet where the games will be in 2009, but keep it in mind. Like oldtimer says, we need to support Nanaimo well to be included at Prince George, then support PG for the next one, and so on. We certainly have the numbers to do so!

Age categories : 55-59, 60-64, 64+
    Also several equipment categories and genders separated.