Thread: Time to replace the Wall Tent woodstove

Time to replace the Wall Tent woodstove

I have a 12x16 wall tent and have been using a Cabelas light weight woodstove for the past bunch of years. The stove is reaching the end of it's life and it's time to replace it.

It is light weight and the pipe folds into the stove. I use it both in the wall tent and under a tarp for coastal hunting. Light weight is a must, as sometimes it travels by boat.

The stove loads from the front, and it great for what it is. Nice heat and will dry my gear. It won't burn all night, and you need poke at the fire every half hour or so. The kids love making toast and grilling meat on top of it. (put tinfoil down first).

Has anyone had both this model and the oval shaped top loading woodstove? I am looking for a comparison. I looked at one in Wholesale Sports. Is the top loading a pain in the a$$? I assume you have to cut the wood pretty small? Let me know the good/bad.

I realize that it is a cheapo, but the light weight is a must. I don't care if it doesn't burn all night.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Time to replace the Wall Tent woodstove

Oval stoves work well. Hold heat for at least 6 hours if you jam them full. Lightweight. Last a while if you take the time to dry them out after the trip then coat them in some kind of oil. I use PAM cooking spray so it doesnt stink too bad next time i use it. The top loading is no problem.

They can fit fairly big pieces of wood, but smaller pieces pack in a bit better when you want to leave it for a while.

Make sure you line the bottom with sand or dirt to keep from burning through.

Ive tried other lightweight options and I think the old oval stoves are hard to beat.
    Last edited by ryanb; 01-25-2014 at 10:21 AM.

The top loading oval stoves are light and last pretty well if you keep them stored dry and clean, and keep sand in the bottom when burning.

They suck for cooking on though. And its harder to load them up for a good burn overnight than a front loader. Still a good lightweight, cheap option though.

Used ovals for 40 yrs. I found a few things over the yrs. Sand or dirt in bottom. Keep it dry when storing and a little spray cooking oil helps( i burn mine off just before heading on trip), I do not stack my wood when filling(tends to hang up sometimes if u do),I cut my wood small and toss it in randomly and it never hangs up,about 3 yrs ago I attached an Ashley air control to the air intake and it now runs 7 to 8 hrs depending on how cold it gets.
    All in all the best stove for a wall tent I have seen.

Great Western Metal oval stoves are what others say. The hole in the top off my 24" stove is just the right size for my cast iron fry pan with the lid open, just set it in there and cooks like your on gaz.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Thanks guys, I like the "PAM" idea to keep the stove looking better.

We are on the coast, and the stove travels by boat over salt water, so keeping the rust away is tough (impossible maybe?). That's one of the reasons I have gone the cheap route, when it rusts out, I replace it.

How light does it have to be ? We have used a hunters stove from canadian tire for over ten yrs . It is fairly light and compact . The pipe does not go inside though . The elbows do , if you use elbows . A nesting pipe would solve this .

It has a flat top that is great for cooking on . We usually have to stoke it in the night but it has been a great stove for the $

i lam on the coast( an island in fact) and i use the simms fold down stoves for all the reasons you mentioned, and they will burn all night, but have been looking at the Kifaru fold up stoves lately- in stainless- cost just a bit more- not as much as you would think...
    that will be my replacement stove- i dont like those oval "hippie killers" just a pain to cook on them, and i like to have my hands out of the direct heat while i am messing with getting it packed well for a burn, and so i can take my time, and not get burnt and or smoked out.
    just me thats all. but not knocking anybody else- but mainly i love the fold up feature!!