Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: horseback caribou

Re: horseback caribou

Quote Originally Posted by waistdeep View Post
    We always keep our chain hobbles around the neck. If you need to shoot or stalk simply put on the hobbles and your free
    Yes, good program. Can also run leather hobbles through the gullet and use them to hold the axe.

Can't hurt to break a horse to shooting either. We have one that jumps in place, the other two just stand there, seem to be more worried about starving to death than a gun shot.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    have to pick your tree for sure, usually not a problem. Have seen hobbled horses run further than you want to chase them. No real answer as to what is the best solution for every situation. Just have to make do as best you can.
    A big tree with good roots works great if one is close when you need to tie up. In places it's a long ways to timber when you need a tree. In this case hobbles are the best insurance that your pony will stick around. 1 horse, knot the reins and drop over the horn as Foxton Gundogs said. With 2 or 3 horses tie them head to tail in a circle. With 4 ponies 2 groups of 2 and so on for however many horses you are travelling with. In all cases hobbled, even when tied to a tree. They will stand there all day and you won't be walking back to camp.
    This thread reminds me of a story where a group of mounted hunters trailing some packhorses came up on a bull caribou in Region 7b. They all jumped off their horses. One guy was trying to hang on to all the reins and leadropes when the "Battle of the Caribou" started. To top it off a guy on a quad showed up and started throwing lead as well. The ponies all pulled away and took off at a run down the valley. Some of them were caught down the trail. 2 of them saddles and all, were never seen again. Some of the horses and gear were borrowed. All around they had a pretty expensive lesson especially when you add in the money they spent on aircraft searching for the lost horses.
    Don't even remember how the caribou did.

Too funny! have seen that happen a couple of times over the years. Could write some really great stories about 7b horse hunting. Both resident and outfitters. No one is immune too horse wrecks.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Anybody that hasn't been in on a horse wreck hasn't been around many horses.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Anybody that hasn't been in on a horse wreck hasn't been around many horses.
    Ain't that the truth
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Yes hobbled horses can run, no doubt. Hopefully your horses have some training that keeps them somewhat close.our horses dance a bit at the sound of a shot, then get excited at all the yelling that goes on when your buddy drops his first buffalo 😀

Quote Originally Posted by waistdeep View Post
    Yes hobbled horses can run, no doubt. Hopefully your horses have some training that keeps them somewhat close.our horses dance a bit at the sound of a shot, then get excited at all the yelling that goes on when your buddy drops his first buffalo 
    three legged hobbles slow them right down.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    If by hunting on horseback you mean actually shooting from the horse, that is a VERY bad idea. No matter how broke and gentle you may think your horse is it's just a matter of time till something sets him off and the last thing you want is a bucking show with a loaded gun in your hand. I have hunted guided and cowboyed all my late teen/adult life and the one thing I have learned is a "bomb proof" horse is like an unloaded gun those are the ones that will hurt you or worse. There's nothing wrong with hunting on horse back no cheating about it BUT be sure to dismount and secure your horse before you think about shooting. If there is nothing to tie to knot the reins in a short loop and hook them over the horn, your horse may bolt but wont go far with the reins in stop mode.

Good advice. Since he been Guiding for 20 odd years no doubt he knows that already.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Thanks Downtown.
    Yes I have been trying to kill myself since I was 16. Enough said.....