Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly encounters -

Re: Grizzly encounters -

Been in camp when they have gone through at night - between the tents. Those were usually fall hunting camps. I have come upon a young griz years ago on a gut pile that took a while to get our scent and leave. We still BACKED out of there. I prospect on the coast and carry bear spray but depend on a firearm. The bear spray is mostly for blacks. I know there isn't much chance if a griz breaks out of the brush 3 or 5 feet away but the gun would work faster then the bear spray. Also consider wind direction when using the spray. If you surprise a bear it is often because the wind is coming from the bear. I do however feel safer in an area where bears are hunted than say a protected area where they are never shot at. They seem to show more respect.

Never encountered a griz but lotsa blackies.. I always carry a gun when hikin through the bush cause you never know what or who your gonna have to administer the lead bullet medicine to... they say blackies are more unpredictable, and that I can believe..

I've been charged by 2 black bears and one grizz, my cousin was charged by 2 grizz in 3 years and I know of 3 or four more locals that have been charged by grizz within a mile or two of my house. My brother and a friend were riding horse along the Besa or the Bucking Horse river when a grizz tried to catch them but they managed to out run it.

I've encountered a grizzly sow with cubs only once on the Columbia Icefields Highway while we were lunching on the side of the road. She was about 50 yards away minding her business.
    There are many theories on how to defend yourself from bears. I believe, and some may disagree, the worst situation is predatory bear and defensive sow. Both require different strategy.
    If you encounter a bear that wants to eat you, if you play dead, he will have a free lunch. You have to fight back and bear spray is not going to save you if he is real hungry. Gun might.
    With a sow you should play dead. Her primary concern is not to eat you but to remove the threat. If you are not moving she may think, after a while, that you are dead and will leave you alone. Hopefully you will still be alive. Also I believe that bear spray will not deter a charging sow either.
    Bear spray is only good for curious bears.
    All this is theoretical knowledge from things I've read and watched to try and be prepared. Thankfully I haven't had to use any of it.
    They say if it's black fight back. If it's brown lie down. Generally speaking.
    I also believe it's better to over prepared (have a gun) and not need it than be under prepared and need it.

My hunting partners call me "death by bear" I have had 3 close encounter in the last 18 months, all while calling moose. The must either hate me or love me lol They can creep up so quiet,you won't see them until you move, or they bust you. I have had one bluff charge me 5 years ago but I scared him as much as he scared me. I don't take them lightly they can be mean and unpredictable.
    Last edited by lip_ripper00; 01-17-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I have had one encounter in the past few years hunting in the east Koot's up by panorama. Was seeing lots of sign a bear was around the area as a number of upturned boulders were on the slides we were hunting. We were extra vigilant for hunts and by doing so on morning on our hike in to the area we came across the sow and her cub not a hundred yards from us on the trail in the early light. She made a charge and the three of us spread out across the trail rifles raised she stopped not 30 feet from us and the two of them bolted up the mountain. We turned and called that trail done for the day...

Worked with a guy who was moose hunting up north, three of them were walking spread out through the bush and a grizz popped out and charged him. He side-stepped behind a tree and got a shot off. He swears he hit it in the chest, but they couldn't find any sign.

Then their is the incident (I did'nt say story) by Ben in the Christian Valley about 3 years ago. Late season checking deer movement and had a sow and 2 cubs harass him, 4 rounds .243 killed the sow and mortally wounded 1 cub. CO and RCMP both attended and said it was self defence. The bears where hunting him...
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

see its the stories about them popping out and charging you, or stalking the game calls, or basically them hunting you. that scare the crap outta me.

I was planning on buying a defender style shotgun, either with stock or without and have it loaded with buckshot or slugs. a friend has one and it looks like it would strap onto a backpack well. his has no stock. would you say that's a good idea?