Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft boats

Hewescraft boats

Anyone own a Hewescraft boat or ridden in one? I just would like to hear some good or bad things about them. I heard they are the best bang for your buck for a "production" welded aluminum boat.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hewescraft boats

Johny bear it really depends on what you are doing with it if you use it as a river boat be careful, they use a 3 stringer hull that ends before the bend of the bow, so they are really prone to beer canning, they also do not rbber washer anything so corrosion is very common in dissimilar metals, they use 1/8 inch bottom and even thinner sides, if you are going sport jet get some ear muffs!!!. if you are using it as a saltwater boat, dont go out in really rough water because of the beer can effect.
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

Quote Originally Posted by blacktail3113
    Johny bear it really depends on what you are doing with it if you use it as a river boat be careful, they use a 3 stringer hull that ends before the bend of the bow, so they are really prone to beer canning, they also do not rbber washer anything so corrosion is very common in dissimilar metals, they use 1/8 inch bottom and even thinner sides, if you are going sport jet get some ear muffs!!!. if you are using it as a saltwater boat, dont go out in really rough water because of the beer can effect.
    Is that yer nice way of saying they suck?
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

I think it was . I was interested in the new 22' Ocean Pro Hard top model. I read that this model (22' Searunner family) is the top selling aluminum boat in Alaska (i.e rough conditions). If this is true then they can't be all that bad.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

These opinions could be byist, with some people promoting their own boats

I hear you Shaker, that's why I asked if anyone owned or has ridden in one. There seems to be alot of brand bashing in the "production" welded aluminum boat market. The only reason I'm interested in this kind of boat is that I don't have time to build one myself (which I have the skill and resources to do so) and I don't have the dough to have a custom one from Daigle, Lifetimer, or Silverstreak built for me.

I have to agree with the comment about the Hewes Sportjet's being on the light side for river use but their ocean boats seem to be well made and very functional.

Thomas' points about the hewescraft were dead on, they are indeed a "tin can". they are finished nicely though. personally i would not own one, if you ever hit something in it, you may regret it as the aluminum is thin. theres a plethora of boats out there, north river, thunderjet,outlaw,duckwworth,harbercraft,customwel d,sidewinder,alicraft etc. take a test drive in a few different boats and find the one you like not the one someone else ddoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
    You get the nerve to shoot it or did you need the hbc members to cheeer you on.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

What is the price difference compared to some other brands????

I have been comparing them to the island custom's like Lifetimer, Quaycraft etc.
    A 22' Searunner Hard Top, rear steering station, and Extended Transom is around the 45 thousand range c/w tandom trailer and 150 yamy.
    A 22' Lifetimer Hard Top that is in stock right now is 52 thousand without power or trailer.
    A 22' Quaycraft Cabin model is about 46 thousand with out power or trailer.

The only thing close is a 21' Northriver Seahawk (which I like as well)c/w canvas top and tandem trailer and a 150 for about 47 thousand. The difference being the hard top and 1/16 thinner bottom on the Hewes.
    The Hewes has 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides
    The Northriver has 1/4" bottom and 1/8 sides.

The Hewes Searunners have supports all the way up the bow and the bow recess is welded to the hull (there is no way these can cave in)not like most others that are just hung by the gunnel. I am not talking about jet boats here and I agree with other comments (I'm assuming are) about the Hewes jet boats. I mainly use a boat on the ocean for fishing, prawning, and exploring.
    Last edited by Johnnybear; 02-17-2007 at 07:30 PM.

shaker have you test driven any hewescraft.!!!! Yes I have driven all of the hewescraft lineup, after touring the plant!!!, like I have test driven 27 other boat companies, every boat they make in the lineup, so sorry if I feel like I have an opinion, talk to the alaska dealers who fix all the hewescrafts out there. because yes even the saltwater lineup has beer canning issues, honestly the stongest part on a hewescraft is the swim grid,
    really I dont care what boat you buy and yes I have a right to voice my opinion, I am in the boat business. you can buy a lot nicer used boat on the market and still lock in financing than buy a hewescraft.

I dont think you can put a hewescraft and a northriver in the same sentence. the northriver will have a better fit and finish and way better support team when the shit hits the fan. bottom line is you get what you pay for, if you are willing to put your family in a lesser quality boat thats your provocative. dont forget a boat is an investment that you dont want to make in another couple of years. you will always loose money trading a boat in after a couple of years.

Shaker you are right it is a biased opinion, until you ride in one of my boats I dont think you can have a a say.
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk