Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind Design

Blind Design

I'm starting to design a layout style blind with the notion of making and selling a few if they work out. So what are some features that you wouldn't do without and some nice to haves?

We have lots of aluminum and plan to use it for a basic folding frame. Will use high quality heavy duty waterproof material for the floor and a water proof camo nylon upper with the standard two pop open doors. Will have lots of loops for adding local straw and weed as natural camo, and probably thermos and cup holders too. Would a foam box to hold shells be useful, it could velcro to either left or right walls?

I'm thinking about incorporating a modified commercial patio lounger that has an adjustable back. Anyone use anything like that before? Good idea or no? Getting comfortable with my messed up back has been a challenge and sitting semi reclined with looking around causes me neck pain and grief later in the day so having an easy adjust will alleviate the issue.

Anticipate it being about 78" long and wedge shape 24" at the back and 18" at the foot section. How wide? 30 - 36"? Target price around $100. plus lounger with should be around $50.

Cheers,

BT
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blind Design

bartender and a beer holder
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

is your intention to design it for use for waterfowl?

interested to see concept designs. any thoughts on making it for multiple people with a dog possibly?

Id love something with more lower back support. I have two different blinds and both suck for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Yes waterfowl use, yes lower back support. Possible dog area but working on single person design first. Alcohol and guns not promoting that one Jesse but put what ever you want in that thermos! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Also, you might want to make it real wide. Most duck hunters tend to be on the chubby side.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Multiple people with dog would love to see that on youtube lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Yes waterfowl use, yes lower back support. Possible dog area but working on single person design first. Alcohol and guns not promoting that one Jesse but put what ever you want in that thermos! LOL
    the beer holder is for your non-hunting long lost twin. You know he only road hunts.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I would make the waterproof material for the bottom come up the sides 5"-6" for those saturated fields. Some people like flagging holes.

Possibly hooks on the inside that could be moved to either side. Too hold hold your gun when not in use( gun rack.) Mucky fields normally make the inside of your layout blind bottom mucky after a few retrievals. Slow period during the hunt it will keep you gun out of the muck and save it from laying on top of you. Hook midway down the barrel and one near the the butt stock. See a lot of people leave their gun inside the layout with the muzzle sticking up and out near the feet. Then when they are getting in and out they are always steeping over it and trying not to trip ovet it.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Bill,

you know I'm in, sans back lounger. As far as size, you know my stature. Will it come in a youth model

P.S. you in for one last duck shoot this weekend?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-14-2014 at 06:26 PM.