Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: carbon vs. aluminium

Bow Walker Guest

Re: carbon vs. aluminium

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Dan I wasn't aware there was a season on 4X4's on the rock !! what did it score ?? LOL
    I must admit I have done the same thing to pine trees, fir stumps etc. with nothing more than a damaged ego.
    Mike
    Of course we do this on occasion and on purpose - just to test the shafts and/or the post integrity. Right Mike?

AA For me I have used both carbons GT, bemans, pse and aluminiums 2317. I am seriously considering switching back to aluminiums (als). I'm a bowhunter first and not too worried about 3D score card.

I am shooting my Mathews Ovation with my old XX78 2317's for the first time with this bow, I'm very impressed with my groups. Als are straighter and carry the weight for bowhunting. Carbons are not as straight then als just look at the specs. Saying that, carbons have been generaly increasing their weight, I believe IMO arrow weight is needed as a good hunting arrow and most importantly having the straightest arrows possible.

Aluminiums deliver both straightness and weight, speed is not an issue with me. I totally agree carbons are more durable.
    Todd

the argument that aluminums are straighter no longer holds water...it used to be true but not anymore. take your arrows for example, the XX78 super slams have a straightness of .0015.....there are a lot of carbons out nowadays that have a straightness of .001, basically the high end arrows in most lines of carbons will go to .001. As for those who prefer a really heavy arrow for hunting...my gold tips come in at around 430 grains all dressed for hunting, with the addition of a weight tube and a little bigger broadhead i can easily take that up to the 550 grain range. There really is very little seperating the two types of arrows anymore when you consider that all else is basically equal the big difference is that Aluminums bend easily but can be repaired if you want to put in the effort, carbons are tougher but when they do get damaged they cannot be fixed....pros and cons for both....personal preference

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Chris I appreciate your comment on straightness. The high end carbons you refer to are out of reach for me. Carbons that cost approx $300 a doz. You definitely get what you pay for, those arrows are hand picked to achieve that tolerance. For the average guy who uses carbons and als, I also agree it is choice. For the average carbons arrows straight tolerances are less than als, thats all I'm stating

GT are a good arrow. I use them now and they take a punishing. I just have some reservations that carbons are the best. Have we been sold a bill of goods?? Marketing is alive and well with archery tackle!! Carbon arrows have been increasing weight for hunting arrows it makes a much better hunting arrow. Also I don't want to be involved in an exploding carbon on release. (safety reminder, check your carbons to prevent this). Thanks for hearing me out.

The trads got it right, keeping it plan and simple.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby
    Have you shot carbons lately? I've shot aluminum for years hunting, competition, I tried carbons and didn't like them when they first came out, but after 18 years of shooting aluminums I switched to Carbons 2 years ago, without a doubt the best decision I made. They are WAY stronger than aluminums and anybody who says you can straighten aluminums I gotta meet, I did it lots but VERY rarely did I get it straight enough to shoot at anything other than stumps and ground squirrels.

Go Carbons, if you worried about the weight, get http://www.goldtip.com/products/prod...&rnd=192997551

Kirby
    Yes I have shot carbons at numerous times. It's not that I find them better or worse than aluminums. The only reason I still shoot aluminums are that I feel more comfortable with them and that I really see no need to change to something else if what I have does a good job and keeps me happy.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter
    Yes I have shot carbons at numerous times. It's not that I find them better or worse than aluminums. The only reason I still shoot aluminums are that I feel more comfortable with them and that I really see no need to change to something else if what I have does a good job and keeps me happy.
    Very true. If it works why fix it?

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

nailz,

carbon arrows that boast .001 tolerances can be purchased for much less than 300 a dozen i can assure you. gold tip pro's are .001 and guaranteed to be +- 1 grain per dozen. usually about 110 to 125 bucks per dozen depending on where you get them.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

tinney, why cant you get carbons to fly for you????
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

aluminum arrows
    Quote:

I don't even know man. They just never seem to fly right out of my bow. I bought some dominators, but they were over(?)spined....always shot 2" to the left no matter what I did. I had some 3-49/390 ACCs and shot a few good FITA scores with them but I never really liked them either....they always seemed prone to getting cracked or broken....and for the price, it didn't seem logical to keep shooting them....finally gave up shooting FITAs and went back to my aluminums.