Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose field dressing

Moose field dressing

I was lucky enough to harvest a Moose in the GOS season in 6-09 this year. This was my first moose as well as the first animal in a long time that I didn't have to process in the bush and back pack out (Those road hunters are onto something .

It was a gift Bull parked the truck walked 200 yards saw the moose, shot it, drove up loaded em up, home by 2pm. To easy!!

My question:

With deer I was taught to always remove the sent glands on the hind legs, or you run the risk of tainting the meat. Are moose the same? This moose didn't smell at all, and I didn't remove the sent glands (mostly because I forgot). What do some of you do?

Any other tips for field dressing? I was by myself and dam near had to crawl inside it to cut the wind pipe to get the lungs and hart out. A second pair of hands would have been handy!! Luckily I had lots of rope.

Cheers QK

Last edited by Quesnel Kid; 11-04-2014 at 09:04 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose field dressing

Congrats. Sometimes you get lucky and they are standing their waiting for you.
    No scent glands that I no of on moose.
    Rope is your friend for sure.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

I've got a few Moose by my self, and trying to gut them alone is a big job, made easier if you have a Quad and winch you can get real close to the animal with. One trick I use, even if there's other guys around is too take one of the front legs and hook it in behind the horns, and tie it with a small piece of rope. And if possible tie one of the rear legs to a near by tree, or bush or and thing that'll give you room to start gutting. As far as cutting the wind pipe, I use my 136 Husky and cut the brisket up until I hit the throat, makes it way easier for sure! I use the saw on the pelvis too, but real carefully! The glands on the rear legs I leave until I get the critter home and cut them out when I cut the rear legs down for hanging. I've seen guys carry a real light weight block and tackle setup in there packs, works great for spreading the legs apart on Moose too. And when your up to your shoulders in Moose guts and blood and gagging, just think, you could still be trying to find one, so smile and be happy about it!!!

Hmmm if only a mest bull I take a 10Inch WIDE SWATH downthe throat to the hind end so hair isnt an issue on the central incision...then I cut the throat, then from the brisket to the throat to remove that esophogus..
    Steven

I myself never touch the glands

moose or deer... But to all that decide to remove the glands do so. But use another knife to gut the animal.

If you don't touch the glands with your knife, you won't taint the meat. I have never removed the glands until I get home or I pack the animal out.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thanks for the tips. Added a photo of the beast. My wife says he looks handicapped cuz he only has one antler I think he is handsome and man is he tender.

Congrats on your moose.

never worried about scent glands on deer.......
    but thats me...

funny moose!

battery powered reciprocating saw with a demolition blade makes quartering much easier.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky