Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert out...

Insert out...

Yesterday, I went to the local shop to have my bow "retuned". It wasn't shooting well, and rather than blame myself, I thought I would have it checked out.

The pro found a couple things wrong with the setup and while paper tuning, he shot through the butt and supplanted one my my arrows quite firmly into the plywood backstop. When he pulled it out, the insret and point stayed behind in the plywood. He pulled it out with pliers and reglued it into the arrow.

When he replaced the insert, he didn't get it in all the way before the glue set, leaving it hanging out about 1/4" from the end of the carbon arrow. He tried to pull it back out but it was too late. He couldn't push it in either.

His solution was "Well, I guess you'll just have to use this as your #2 arrow.", which I think is just a joke. He built the arrow, he shot it, pulled it, "fixed" it... I really think he should replace it, but that's another issue. I've never been particularly impressed with this guy.

Does anyone know how I might be able to pull the insert and the replace it properly? It was glued with a cyanoacrylate (CA) based glue, and I think I have some solvent for CA around the shop somewhere. Ideas anyone?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Insert out...

You need to find a new bow shop. That's ridiculous. As for the glue, try heating the TIP of the insert, this might make the glue weak enough to be pulled out and redone properly. Try to avoid heating the arrow though, carbons don't like that very much.

I would agree with Tinney, this guy should have fixed the arrow properly.

Heating the arrow, might work. It will work better on an aluminum arrow than a carbon. I'm not sure what you are shooting. It may not be a big deal. Shoot the arrow and see how it performs.

The great thing about shooting the compound is that an off day can be blamed on the equipment. With Traditional gear, the poor shooter simply has nothing to blame but themselves.

I would agree with the others, if you're not getting the service/respect you need, change service outlets.

JT

HEAT the tip up only-- the carbon arrow will burn. But heat it up enough that the insert pulls out easly if you pull to hard you will pull the inside layer of carbon out and wreck the arrow.---Learn to make your own you will get a better arrow a lot cheaper and its fun to

^^ Tip only... DO NOT HEAT THE ARROW.....I've never seen one burn but if the carbon heats up too much you will be hooped.

I'll give the heat thing a try tomorrow.

Thanks to all who responded.

One other thing to note. After this whole rigamoroll, the guy still charged me $15 for his "labour". He changed a few things that were, according to him, "done wrong in the original setup". Funny thing is that he was the guy that set it up originally! Unfortunately he's the only game in town.

I think I better get to know a few of the more accomplished folks oin this site that live around these parts. I'd gladly exchange beer/wine/coffee/lunch/dinner/etc. for advice and assistance.

In all cases Aluminum or Carbon, screw in an Old field tip and Heat that. It will Transfer heat to the insert and losen the Glue and you will be able the Pull it out. If you have one available, Put in a New insert especially If it has Been shot into a wall and pulled out with Plyers. It will most likely will not be true.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Who was it so we won't make the mistake of dealing with him?
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

When dealing with a cyanoacrylate glue you must pull as you heat the tip maintaining a constant pressure so that the instant the bond breaks the tip will come out. this will allow the least possible heat to get to the carbon, the good and the bad with the cyanoacrylate glues is they bond extremely well with carbon so they tend to hold tips in very well but they are tougher to pull than a slow set product like "powerbond"

And agreed on the statements above about finding a new shop...that is completely unnacceptable, incompetent and unprofessional service.

Chris