Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Re: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I have always wondered how it could be beneficial to genetics to kill only the largest breeder bucks in September in the high country well ahead of the rut.

The tri-palm requirement for moose has the potential to remove the tri-palms from the breeding stalk.

A couple of examples of the Law of Unintended Consequences manifesting itself.
    Mule deer are a little smarter and a little tougher to get at during pre rut so less likely to all get shot I guess

quote ;The tri-palm requirement for moose has the potential to remove the tri-palms from the breeding stalk.

Antler size doesn't always equate to superior genetics .Ive shot and killed many bull moose in 7-49/ before the tri-palm restriction that had tri-palm configuration but were smaller bodyed moose and ive shot/killed some of the largest bodied bulls ive ever seen with just 3-4 point.Ive got one small 3 point rack here {young bull} that tipped the scales at 900 lbs dressed,and many that were over 800 lbs that were young with smaller antlers.

takla

Hi guys. New to the forum, not hunting. What about a rotating hunting ban on certain regions to allow the stock to mature, but of course allow predator hunting? I have seen more than few 6 point mulies where hunting is not allowed, but very few in the wild. It seems the deer in the wild don't have a chance to mature even where numbers are plenty. Rotating would allow younger bucks in MUs to be harvested for food and allow bucks to mature in others. But that would put more pressure on the open MUs less oportunity on the closed MUs. I guess there is no easy answer.
    Last edited by Kill-da-wabbit; 06-29-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: No spell good

The 4 point mule deer season in my opinion is affecting the genes in the deer. After years of hunting the same area I am seeing far less 4 points and am now seeing very large two and three point bucks. This is not increasing the amount of large antlered bucks but actually doing the opposite. The only really effective way of managing is to implement 100% limited entry based on what they consider to be a sustainable harvest.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    There have been dozens of studies and papers on antler restrictions for mule deer. They all come up with the same conclusion: THEY DON'T MAKE MORE DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BC, Alberta, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and on and on and on and on.

Was just talking to one of the guys in the States today who is one of the top mule deer researchers in NA. He's done the research on cougar control, coyote control, antler restrictions and his work is showing the biggest constraint is.......... HABITAT!!!!!!!!!!! It's funny, hunters have the most potential to increase mule deer populations yet are the biggest barrier all at the same time.

You can focus on making more deer or you can focus on making more hunting regulations.

I give.

Just give this this a reread and should answer your concerns on Antler restriction.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    There have been dozens of studies and papers on antler restrictions for mule deer. They all come up with the same conclusion: THEY DON'T MAKE MORE DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BC, Alberta, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and on and on and on and on.

Was just talking to one of the guys in the States today who is one of the top mule deer researchers in NA. He's done the research on cougar control, coyote control, antler restrictions and his work is showing the biggest constraint is.......... HABITAT!!!!!!!!!!! It's funny, hunters have the most potential to increase mule deer populations yet are the biggest barrier all at the same time.

You can focus on making more deer or you can focus on making more hunting regulations.

I give.
    It blows my mind how little importance some hunters think habitat is.

We can restrict all the hunting, kill all the preds, but if the deer have nowhere to live...well, it's pretty obvious.

Habitat. Habitat. Habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    It blows my mind how little importance some hunters think habitat is.

We can restrict all the hunting, kill all the preds, but if the deer have nowhere to live...well, it's pretty obvious.

Habitat. Habitat. Habitat.

especially wintering grounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trouble is we do have a few issues compounding the problem, not just habitat loss, predators of course, access- hardly anywhere that you can’t drive to, poaching.....regardless of who’s doing it is ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Trouble is we do have a few issues compounding the problem, not just habitat loss, predators of course, access- hardly anywhere that you can’t drive to, poaching.....regardless of who’s doing it is ongoing.
    I would agree with you and only add that the major factors change throughout BC

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I would agree with you and only add that the major factors change throughout BC
    Exactly each region has its differences for sure.