Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Re: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    what exactly is action packed hunting?....ive been hunting reg 3 and 5 in a few areas for 38 yrs and nothing much has changed over the yrs in my eyes anyways .some days i see some bucks some days i dont... some days there big bucks ..some days there smaller younger bucks .
    Well for me it was multiple chances and sightings per trip and or per day on fairly mature bucks. At least 1+ monster sighting per trip. Reward for effort. Burn boot leather and turn up bucks, glass for hrs and turn up bucks.
    I am not at flat top hunter as I know what follows a few years of antlerless seasons, dryer times...I like to see them with a bunch of fawns in tow, happy and healthy and making more bucks and does for the future.( indictive of a healthy population to me) I understand there needs to be a harvest once in a awhile but I'll leave it to those that don't have the back or legs for it and a dream of something special just over the next hill. I know management feels they've done there job if these game begin harvested albeit yearlings and or does, I just don't like riding the rollercoaster. I believe opportunity should given only when its affordable. That certainly does not apply to the areas that no nothing of, I'm sure there is plenty of mulie strongholds left else where in BC. I know, I know I shouldn't "believe" it's wrong
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 01-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    And please, learn to spell and use punctuation. I thought you were in UBC?? You must drive your teachers wild if you spell like you do on here.
    Quote of the day! lol
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    Just how much of our "Habitat Conservation Fund" is going to where it is supposed to go? What are the facts? Where are the funds of our hunting
    liscence fees, tag fees, LEH fees going?
    very good question, the tire industry had the same problem as the tire levi went in with my pst into general revenue.The provincal gov collected
    12 million dollars and only 2 million went back into the clean up and recycling of tires.
    the tire industry took it over and know all your dollars go to cleaning up the mess left from the government.
    believe half of what you see and nothing you hear

Just as easy as taking a look at the HCTF site for reports on spending , to see where the bucks are going including studies on bugs , frogs , grasses and weeds.
    Remember it is habitat conservation , not hunter conservation.

You may also note how much $$$ goes to the Gov't of BC to cover projects when taxpayer dollars are not available from Victoria.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 01-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    You obviously have not been around for very long.... Dana sings a different tune now a days after his own friend gave him shit on open forum. Pretty easy to like now , I almost feel guilty
    hahaha, he was laughing his ass off about that.

Well for me it was multiple chances and sightings per trip and or per day on fairly mature bucks. At least 1+ monster sighting per trip. Reward for effort. Burn boot leather and turn up bucks, glass for hrs and turn up bucks.
    I am not at flat top hunter as I know what follows a few years of antlerless seasons, dryer times...I like to see them with a bunch of fawns in tow, happy and healthy and making more bucks and does for the future.( indictive of a healthy population to me) I understand there needs to be a harvest once in a awhile but I'll leave it to those that don't have the back or legs for it and a dream of something special just over the next hill. I know management feels they've done there job if these game begin harvested albeit yearlings and or does, I just don't like riding the rollercoaster. I believe opportunity should given only when its affordable. That certainly does not apply to the areas that no nothing of, I'm sure there is plenty of mulie strongholds left else where in BC. I know, I know I shouldn't "believe" it's wrong

I never found the hunting in Region 5 before these latest season changes to be very difficult. Always seen lots of deer. Way more than I ever saw here in my part of Region 3. Could see countless bucks per day. Even with high hunting pressure. Always saw the mature bucks further back from the roads, but that goes without saying. So I don't know if you can say the season changes have made thing better. I'd say things have remained about the same.

Not better, worse. What I experienced prior to the changes is way different than many region 5 mule deer threads i read and all of the hunts that people I know have done there since. I have not been there since 1-2 yrs post reg changes.

Soooo, you are saying when the regs were less stringent the hunting was better??? Hmmm, interesting. I seem to remember a 2 muley buck limit, a longer any buck season and a season open in the peak of the rut. Are you really saying that the trophy hunters that presured the manager to the grow bigger bucks through season changes were somehow wrong??? I'm confused to what you are trying to say.

Not better, worse. What I experienced prior to the changes is way different than many region 5 mule deer threads i read and all of the hunts that people I know have done there since. I have not been there since 1-2 yrs post reg changes.
    Im sofa king confused by your posts on this, husky. Earlier you stated that region 5 was an example of a region where APR's were successfully used as a management tool. Now you're saying things are worse. What's the deal?

Here's a link to some FAQ's on region 5 MD that was released when the most recent regulation changes went in to place in 2009: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...MIMuleDeer.pdf
    Last edited by coach; 01-06-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Sorry I have been in camp for weeks with piss poor reception posting on my phone. Between auto correct , my poor English , grammar, spelling , losing signal and timing out its not fun anymore , aside from the obvious.... Ill try again I feel it was because of the APRs that region 5 had such good mulie buck hunting. They already had lots of deer, so many they had a 2 mule deer limit. It worked until the anybuck season overlapped the rut. When they expanded the anybuck season into November and the rut a ton of people came and shot an "any buck " or "meat" buck and a mature buck within days of each other. IMO it created a double dip if you will, no need to be picky and come home with nothing. ( not everyone can make multiple trips) Anyways so significant was the buck harvest hunters noticed within the 1st or 2nd yr. "where are all the mature bucks and or where are the bucks?" Heard it all the time. People were so attracted to that "opportunity" they shot that years buck plus next years up and comer in one fowl swoop. That all went down somewhere early to mid 2000's. The regs changed shortly after in an attempt to provide mature buck escapement, they had a 10 day rut closer. I would be surprised if that accomplished much if anything.
    Anyways IMO a change in the APR can have a positive or negative effect and it is measurable down stream of the change.