Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Re: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    It would be a great think to see some controlled burns for habitat enhancement throughout BC, however, the challenge post-burn would be to see succession of valuable native plant species, rather than a proliferation of noxious introduced species, which at least in Southern BC, would be a possible outcome
    Read the link posted, bit of info on weeds versus native species post treatment.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Husky,
    Why did my kids kill the 2 bucks? easy, because they like to hunt and love to eat deer meat!

We are not stupid enough to think that there is a conservation concern with mule deer because we find the hunting hard. Really, who cares that the hunting is hard, just makes the successes more of an accomplishment. Even though we saw few bucks, we saw plenty of does. I also pay attention during the rest of the year and happened to see plenty of bucks during the spring. Many in areas I never saw many deer in in the past. But, you are right, we should just give up and throw in the towel when we encounter something hard in our lives right? I can tell ya I have raised my kids to suck it up and just keep trying.

As for your assumption that I think I'm something special, sorry to disappoint you, I'm just a guy that likes to hunt. I haven't punched a muley buck tag since 2010. I post up pics to inspire people to get out and enjoy this great province of ours. I posted up those sheds to show guys like you that have been moaning that there are no big bucks blah blah blah, that there is indeed some that are just plain smart. I've never seen hide nor hair of that buck. He grew up right under my nose and 2 years of hunting hard for him has proven that is is way smarter than me. And I am good with that. He isn't the only giant that has ever kicked my ass and he won't be the last. I have a lot of respect for these critters and know that hunting them on their home turf means they will win way more than I ever will. I am not naive enough to think that I am such a super hunter that I have ever seen every deer in my area. Seem to remember comments from you that you think that way about your own hunting abilities though. I can attest to the fact that it may sometimes feel grim but there is Hope! Mule deer are no where near extinction. They are not a species at risk. Time to stop the bitching and just suck it up Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    So your saying that because the leh doe season ran along side the nov buck season it increased the total buck harvest? Nothing to do with the fact that suddenly you could shoot 2 bucks with a day of each other all in one trip right during the rut?
    That is correct, at least according to the data.

Perhaps a it of this and that, point being the regulations changed, the harvest went up enough it was obvious that the deer had decrease.
    Probably not. Females control the population, not males - significant increase in female mule deer results in population decline. Increase in buck harvest results in fewer bucks post season but does not result in a population decline.

As mentioned, a person should try to be informed before coming to a conclusion. You seem to wrap everything up with conclusions without knowing the seasons, harvest or data. This is a major challenge, perhaps insurmountable.

Mandela

not familiar with the term. Just saying that the mule deer hunting was great, perhaps too many deer even. The changed the regulations and very quickly the party was over.
    note - this has everything to do with the hunter, nothing to do with the deer. You're talking about the hunting, without worrying about the resource.

Mandela

I should also add that the hunting was pretty tuff for trophy mule deer in 2013 for most of the West. Not a ton of 200 inchers posted up on internet from other places. Most reports from hunters that I've seen say pretty much the same as here. Deer sightings were down, big bucks were rare and overall harvest of trophy mule deer is way down. This is not something special to just BC.

They sure did mention it. Read it again. The people writing for the bc outdoors are far from experts btw. ( I do know they were quoting the bio btw I mean on much of the info they print)
    I still can't figure out why because your region 3 experiences are different from much of the region 4 hunter experiences you feel the need to comment on their lack of or sub-par effort, I mean no one else could possibly hunt as hard as you.....
    hmmm, my friends and I kill moose every time we get a draw ( every yr Or two) in reg 4 and 7 , I guess all the region 5 people worried about their lack of moose are just lazy " average" hunters..... It couldn't be any different, I mean we see lots of moose and always punch our tags? Fack em there is no moose problem there.

Not to degrade your family hunting experiences of this year but if all two months of hard hunting yeilded was two little mulies buck sighting why shoot them? I mean before you ran into possibly the last decent pocket of deer in your area you were considering the possibility that they were "all dead" so why shoot the last two?

A quick look at the hbc mulie threads shows what region 3 is producing, where's the reg 4 threads on it, oh wait there is barely a few, I must of missed if there even was one this year.
    Why shoot them?

a) they were hunting for deer and they had tags

b) those deer were obviously not the only deer alive in the area.

I am surprised you needed to ask those questions. The answers are so obvious to all but the intentionally obtuse.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post

Here's a good link for those that are keen:

http://trench-er.com/
    More great reading. Thanks again, GG.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Husky,
    I'm not really sure what you are talking about in Region 5. A few short years ago they were over run with deer and handing out 1000s of doe tags. The only major changes they have done is drop the 2 buck limit and close the season down for 10 days in Nov. They still have an any buck season. Are you saying their 4 point seasons saved their deer or what? Not sure I understand. They have been hit hard by the same wolves as northern Region 3 so combined with the high doe harvest, their numbers are definately down. But still plenty of deer to be had including trophy bucks.

I remember that some wrongfully accused Dually as being an anti hunter due to his comments. I'm thinking that soon those same accusations will be pointed at Husky.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Husky,
    Why did my kids kill the 2 bucks? easy, because they like to hunt and love to eat deer meat!

We are not stupid enough to think that there is a conservation concern with mule deer because we find the hunting hard. Really, who cares that the hunting is hard, just makes the successes more of an accomplishment. Even though we saw few bucks, we saw plenty of does. I also pay attention during the rest of the year and happened to see plenty of bucks during the spring. Many in areas I never saw many deer in in the past. But, you are right, we should just give up and throw in the towel when we encounter something hard in our lives right? I can tell ya I have raised my kids to suck it up and just keep trying.

As for your assumption that I think I'm something special, sorry to disappoint you, I'm just a guy that likes to hunt. I haven't punched a muley buck tag since 2010. I post up pics to inspire people to get out and enjoy this great province of ours. I posted up those sheds to show guys like you that have been moaning that there are no big bucks blah blah blah, that there is indeed some that are just plain smart. I've never seen hide nor hair of that buck. He grew up right under my nose and 2 years of hunting hard for him has proven that is is way smarter than me. And I am good with that. He isn't the only giant that has ever kicked my ass and he won't be the last. I have a lot of respect for these critters and know that hunting them on their home turf means they will win way more than I ever will. I am not naive enough to think that I am such a super hunter that I have ever seen every deer in my area. Seem to remember comments from you that you think that way about your own hunting abilities though. I can attest to the fact that it may sometimes feel grim but there is Hope! Mule deer are no where near extinction. They are not a species at risk. Time to stop the bitching and just suck it up Princess.
    thank you for saying that exactly what i think when people accuse me of being a great huinter never once did i say i was just said i like to hunt and i like to go for a personal trophie never once claimed i saw everydeer that i crossed paths with
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    ponder this: "the world is run by those who show up".

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I will stand behind every post I have made. what others think of me is none of my business!