Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

Re: Mule Deer and Antler point restrictions

When Elk were transplanted along the Moberly river in, I believe the 80s ,at that time they used prescribed burns every spring for 3-4 yrs to help the Habitat.
    What happened..the Elk population exploded.
    It's time to set a fire under the Government arse,so they will allow the wildlife managers to use controlled fire burns again...it works

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    When Elk were transplanted along the Moberly river in, I believe the 80s ,at that time they used prescribed burns every spring for 3-4 yrs to help the Habitat.
    It's time to set a fire under the Government arse,so they will allow the wildlife managers to use controlled fire burns again...it works
    You got 'er....
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

It would be a great think to see some controlled burns for habitat enhancement throughout BC, however, the challenge post-burn would be to see succession of valuable native plant species, rather than a proliferation of noxious introduced species, which at least in Southern BC, would be a possible outcome
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Most of southern and central BC is supposed to be a fire-maintained ecosystem. Burns are a part of the 'cycle'. Really has nothing to do with bug kill.

Burning close to people's house in a controlled situation really isn't a bad idea when you consider what happens when we don't burn and allow fuel to build up on the forest floor. We end up with things like what happened in Kelowna where fires are out of control and you end up with 200 houses burned down and 30,000 ppl evacuated. Where it is too close to the interface you can use mechanical thinning as well.

Here's a good link for those that are keen:

http://trench-er.com/
    yes i know its a cylce just like out in the chilcotin but thats not all of bc and all of bc seams to have poeple complaining about either lack of trophie bucks or lack of bucks in general so what about those areas whats rong with them or are the people just to bitchy in those areas?
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    ponder this: "the world is run by those who show up".

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I will stand behind every post I have made. what others think of me is none of my business!

in those areas it does amazing stuff for the environment went out and saw some of the burns in the chilcotin the amount of grass was insane i couldnt belive my eyes a controlled burn would do lots for the deer although it is alot easyer to hunt in sure opens the area up so then that adds to the easy access
    ponder this: "the world is run by those who show up".

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I will stand behind every post I have made. what others think of me is none of my business!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Husky,
    Did you ever read that issue of BC Outdoors? Did you ever see what the Region 3 bio said about the North Thompson? Why was his comments the only bio to mention an area hit hard by wolves??? Did your area get mentioned??? Hmmm???? I can tell ya in first 2 months of hunting I only saw 2 bucks. Both of which my kids killed. I didn't see my first legal 4 point until the 3rd week of Nov. That particular week I saw plenty of bucks. Numerous mature bucks with one absolute giant. And then guess what???? After a few hard days of rutting, they disappeared. I haven't seen much since then. Heck, I've barely seen a doe this Christmas break. What does this mean? Exactly what I've been saying all along. The deer are hiding. They have fallen right back into their 'survival' pattern. The herd mentality of yarding up will get them killed when it comes to wolves. They know that. So they each go their separate ways and to the average hunter it seems like they are all 'gone'. Heck, in the first 2 months of the season, I was even starting to believe you and your BS. I, too, was starting to believe they were in fact 'ALL DEAD'. A few days with the right timing, my attitude has changed. I had a buddy that hunted the same ground I did the week before. He saw a total of 7 deer in 7 days. Not one legal buck. Ended up getting his LEH doe on his drive out of camp as he was leaving back for the Coast. Bad timing is all. I timed my holidays about perfect this year. I have another buddy that waited till the end. He too missed it and had a very bleak last week of the season.

Tell me how do 2 absolute Giants grow up in an area overcome by wolves????? On top of that, it has been plagued by hoards of hunters flocking here for the elusive 'Gold' because some jackass named dana keeps spouting off about the big deer that live here. Hmmm, I wonder maybe it has something to do with the fact that our Region 3 Bios have a good grasp on how things work.
    They sure did mention it. Read it again. The people writing for the bc outdoors are far from experts btw. ( I do know they were quoting the bio btw I mean on much of the info they print)
    I still can't figure out why because your region 3 experiences are different from much of the region 4 hunter experiences you feel the need to comment on their lack of or sub-par effort, I mean no one else could possibly hunt as hard as you.....
    hmmm, my friends and I kill moose every time we get a draw ( every yr Or two) in reg 4 and 7 , I guess all the region 5 people worried about their lack of moose are just lazy " average" hunters..... It couldn't be any different, I mean we see lots of moose and always punch our tags? Fack em there is no moose problem there.

Not to degrade your family hunting experiences of this year but if all two months of hard hunting yeilded was two little mulies buck sighting why shoot them? I mean before you ran into possibly the last decent pocket of deer in your area you were considering the possibility that they were "all dead" so why shoot the last two?

A quick look at the hbc mulie threads shows what region 3 is producing, where's the reg 4 threads on it, oh wait there is barely a few, I must of missed if there even was one this year.

You're saying APR's made the difference in region 5?
    not familiar with the term. Just saying that the mule deer hunting was great, perhaps too many deer even. The changed the regulations and very quickly the party was over.

elk were not tranplanted on the moberly. Historically there was a small population there. There was only one prescribed burn. It was organized and carried out bythe north peace rod & gun club. The first in the province as aresult of te burn theelk population on there moberly expanded rapidly. A testament to habitat improvement for sure.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    not familiar with the term. Just saying that the mule deer hunting was great, perhaps too many deer even. The changed the regulations and very quickly the party was over.
    APR's? That's what this thread is about: Antler Point Restrictions. I still can't figure out what you are referring to with regard to region 5. I think you have some of your facts mixed up.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Region 5 had a 2 deer bag limit until 2010 IIRC. The second deer harvest was minimal (couple hundred out of 3500 IIRC). Any buck went into November until 1997 across almost the entire province. The move to any buck in November in Region 5 was to increase the Class IV component. The biggest additive to buck harvest was the antlerless season running concurrently with the any buck in November increasing total buck harvest.

The outcome you refer to has to do with the hunting (or in your eyes what hunters want), not the mule deer population. Your post and inference is one of a social, not science, nature.

One last thing: When we have bad information to start out with, we end up with bad decisions and recommendations. There is a need to have good information out of the gates.
    So your saying that because the leh doe season ran along side the nov buck season it increased the total buck harvest? Nothing to do with the fact that suddenly you could shoot 2 bucks with a day of each other all in one trip right during the rut? Perhaps a it of this and that, point being the regulations changed, the harvest went up enough it was obvious that the deer had decrease.