Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some nice bucks showing up in our new spot

Some nice bucks showing up in our new spot

For years I have been trying to figure out where my early season bucks go. I had a suspicion where they are going (because I have searched everywhere else) ... found crap everywhere (every few steps, some old some new) but was discouraged last outing because of the lack of tracks in the snow.

Decided to give it another rip and after a little rattling we had a deer circle in down wind behind us and blow us out. Busted. I guess calling is done for this spot. I'll have to stay silent since they are onto me already, but check out these bucks showing up. First one looks like a hybrid but the second one looks more pure blacktail and is a tank! Looks like I'll be going hard the next couple weeks.

I found where they party, but it's too late in the season to figure out where they sleep. Either way it's game on!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOnnU9gL8c4

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Some nice bucks showing up in our new spot

Pretty cool ..... and yes I’d say the second one is a blacktail and a damn good one at that .... super cool caddisguy !!!

Nice lookin bucks.

Hope ya get one!!

looks promising good luck! Thx for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Pretty cool ..... and yes I’d say the second one is a blacktail and a damn good one at that .... super cool caddisguy !!!
    Thanks! The BT looks like he has a pretty beefy body. When I first saw the other one (sunlight glare on my tablet screen) I almost thought it was a whitetail... flat looking tail, kind of triangular and mostly brown all the way through (I have region 2 whitetails on cam less than 2km away) but the antler forks and white rump are telling me muley / BT hybrid and when I saw it in proper light you can see the black. Like any place more than 25km from the coast, there are a lot of mixed mule/bt genetics... I'm sure even that one with the stubby tail will have some muley in him if you DNA test.

I've been laying off the cameras this year. I normally run 5-7 but needed a break, so I have just had one "floater" camera now. This one isn't even on a trail, but now I'm curious and will probably put a few more up right on the trails and let them soak until March shed hunt to get a better idea. I think this drainage holds a good number of resident deer but is a major wintering area for resident and migratory deer. I could use a little more snow.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Pemby_mess Guest

magic! .....nice video

This vid has the west coast vibe.

Poop! Zoom In.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    This vid has the west coast vibe.

Poop! Zoom In.
    Poop is fascinating out here. I swear on the coast they carry around little bags and pick up after themselves. This new spot feels like walking around a cutblock outside of Kamloops though. Savor the poop.

Good for you persisting on your spot. I had a similar spot with droppings all over a couple of years ago. Then the wolves moved in and I haven't seen the deer since. Deer are gone, wolves are gone (no food). Glad to see someone nail down a honey hole!
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Quote Originally Posted by Kill-da-wabbit View Post
    Good for you persisting on your spot. I had a similar spot with droppings all over a couple of years ago. Then the wolves moved in and I haven't seen the deer since. Deer are gone, wolves are gone (no food). Glad to see someone nail down a honey hole!
    The wolves are moving in They haven't found this little pocket yet afaik, but for the first time in 20 years we started hearing wolves howling in this valley and found their tracks. They are about 15km away now (and they are on some deer there for sure holding them up where they are... found a deer kill and deer hooves in scat... got that on video too) NO SEASON for them either, here in the heart of the Fraser Valley !! I could not legally shoot them if I wanted to. This spot gets really deep snow, so the wolves are going to dial in the trails this winter, guaranteed... they will make Region 2 one buck only and blame hunters.... and most hunters will agree the problem is hunters and beg for more regulations because Miley Cyrus and Axl Rose said so.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-25-2018 at 09:29 PM.