Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

I'm kind of scared to answer this one.

The original question could have just been PM'd to the few experts we have on here as no one else's opinion matters.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
    Is there logic to this?
    Logic Yes, when I grew up, all we had was 12ga's in 2 3/4", there was no 3". I like the versatility of a 3" today especially in the deer shotgun zone. I use a lot of 2 3/4" shells for grouse with lead. There's nothing wrong with a chambered 2 3/4" shotgun. They are very affective today as they were years ago. So I hope I've answered your question.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    What is it with you?
    this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
    I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
    Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

and yep you got a rise out of me.
    Don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about. If you can't play in the sandbox with the guys who do know what they are talking about then go on BSBC where you seem to be some kind of STAR!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.
    P.S. I don't shoot 3''!!!

What is it with you?
    this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
    I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
    Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

Yeah you are right.....my duck gun is a 16 gauge 870 it kicks ass with the 3" shells I just have a hard time finding them.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

What is it with you?

If you can show me a post where I proclaimed to be a superstar I will retract that post. You admit you have only shot a limit once but it seems you are damned sure the 3" is better.What do you base this on?..you are right again...when you say people come to this site looking for advice...and I gave it....What is it with you?
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Can't we all just buy Benelli's that cycle pretty much everything and come with multiple chokes so we can finally just get along
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen View Post
    Yeah you are right.....my duck gun is a 16 gauge 870 it kicks ass with the 3" shells I just have a hard time finding them.
    Same duck gun I have But I have never seen or herd of 3" 16ga shell.

I use 2 3/4" 16ga #2 steel for ducks and geese when I have to opertunity to hunt them. If I where to get back into serious waterfowl hunting I would switch over to the 3" shells only because they are readily available every where.
    I have a PHD is "Campfire BS". An avid hunter fisher man. Love shooting trap as much as shooting the bull. The more BS in my story the greater I am.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
    Is there logic to this?
    Or you just don't like the guy?

Shotguns are not just for shooting ducks. Say you need to blow someone's brains out. 3.5" will do it more effectively (Just guessing).
    Regardless, 3" gun will do 2 3/4" too and you know 2 3/4" gun will not do 3" loads (without inflicting pain to yourself)
    There is versatility.
    3.5" is not worth the extra money.
    Some say it's much better to have the 3 1/2 capability and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    The others say with 2 3/4" you just become a better shooter.
    But it's really all about cost/opportunity.
    2 3/4" has been doing business for a long time and more importantly it will be around for a long time.

Here is an article that might be interesting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm
    Well since, D6dan bought his newest shotgun less than 6 yrs ago, upgrading to a new BPS as he is a leftie. He bought a 3" because that is what was made. he shoots 2 3/4 birdshot, and he shoots 3" deer shells. Just because his shotgun is a 3" doesn't mean that's all he shoots, the OP asked if a 2 3/4 chambered gun is worth buying and Dan gave his opinion. If you don't like don't read it, it's his opinion based on his experience I know how much experience he has and I have seen very little support to your level of expertise. So instead of trying to derail a thread and turn everything into a pissing match offer up some of your real world experience instead of just slamming other peoples opinions and dropping an article reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Carole, why don't you and Toonie go down to the bay and get us some pics... Too many people use them to see who the real hunters are.

I have an older 870 that only takes 23/4 I got the full choke barrel reamed and it kills ducks but I wish I had a three inch because my partner with 3" kills way more than me. And it couldn't be my poor shooting ? Could it. Na it's the gun