Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks??? My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.
    Thanks Tony. Nice to know there's a few of us that still know what works. Happy New year!

Edit: I should have said" learn how to shoot it".
    Last edited by d6dan; 12-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

I know 835 has posted up countless big waterfowl kills on here that were only thanks to his 3" mag ......ohhhh wait a minute ...let me check my notes......O.K. Here we go 835 has posted up absolutely nothing to solidify a vote for a 3" gun...so you can take his word for it and if you don't believe him you can ask adriaticum
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I shoot a 20 most of the time....

10 gauge 3.5" BBB for ducks and a punt gun for geese!! Hahaha jk, 2.75" works just fine. The boys are right, having a fixed choke limits your flexibility, but at the end of the day if it makes a BANG itll kill birds... you just have to know your limits. Like we put 2.75 Federals thru our ancient doubles barrels with fairly open fixed chokes (terrible steel-shot patterning guns) for the days we are feeling old school, and we just make sure to shoot under 20 yards.

I primarily shoot 12 gauge 3" out of an aftermarket choke just because of personal preference and how well my combo seems to pattern.. but the fact is it doesnt take much to bring birds down. My sister takes geese down with her 20 gauge #4's within 15-20 yards just fine. Same shell takes ducks out to 25 yards.

Happy new years!
    -Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 01-01-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Nothing wrong with 2 3/4 inch shells but as others have stated watch out for full chokes on older guns. From personal experience a 2 3/4 inch steel bb can split an older full choke barrel.
    Feras consumere nati

2.75" was good enough for years and its still good enough, however, shotgun chamber size is akind to layering with trail clothing. You can always use less if you have the whole package but its pretty hard to add more if you only have the bare minimum.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Loved this thread. I am a professed newbie to waterfowling as my add-on question will disclose...

I have a 3 1/2 Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Shooting 3 1/2 BB it definitely knocks ducks out of the sky better than my friend spitting 2 3/4 #4s (or they might even be 3" #4's) out of the same model gun. Much to his chagrin! HHAHAHA! So what would my max distance be with this set up... so far I estimate having clobbered the poor things out as far at 40 yards? (just a guess - Ron?)
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Loved this thread. I am a professed newbie to waterfowling as my add-on question will disclose...

I have a 3 1/2 Mossberg 835 Ultimag. Shooting 3 1/2 BB it definitely knocks ducks out of the sky better than my friend spitting 2 3/4 #4s (or they might even be 3" #4's) out of the same model gun. Much to his chagrin! HHAHAHA! So what would my max distance be with this set up... so far I estimate having clobbered the poor things out as far at 40 yards? (just a guess - Ron?)
    Hermit you are shooting a far larger size shot than a #4 and you are packing some more powder behind it. So of course if you're hitting birds the impact will be much more substantial. Depending on the patterning of you shotgun and you selected choke 45-50 is not impossible, but I would only take that shot as a hailmary on an already wounded bird that might be floating 500m away from if you don't try to smack it one last time. BB are overkill IMO on duck outside of late season sea duck. 3" #2,3 or 4 if where we usually shoot with 3's n 4's being preferred. 2s and BB are usually seaduck loads for us. But to each their own.

this lil fella was taken with 3" #4s

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
    So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
    Is there logic to this?
    Or you just don't like the guy?

Shotguns are not just for shooting ducks. Say you need to blow someone's brains out. 3.5" will do it more effectively (Just guessing).
    Regardless, 3" gun will do 2 3/4" too and you know 2 3/4" gun will not do 3" loads (without inflicting pain to yourself)
    There is versatility.
    3.5" is not worth the extra money.
    Some say it's much better to have the 3 1/2 capability and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    The others say with 2 3/4" you just become a better shooter.
    But it's really all about cost/opportunity.
    2 3/4" has been doing business for a long time and more importantly it will be around for a long time.

Here is an article that might be interesting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm
    Last edited by adriaticum; 01-03-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks??? My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen View Post
    I know 835 has posted up countless big waterfowl kills on here that were only thanks to his 3" mag ......ohhhh wait a minute ...let me check my notes......O.K. Here we go 835 has posted up absolutely nothing to solidify a vote for a 3" gun...so you can take his word for it and if you don't believe him you can ask adriaticum

What is it with you?
    this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
    I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
    Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

and yep you got a rise out of me.