Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have seen some used that are chambered 2 3/4.
    i would like to use it for ducks, geese, target. An all purpose gun. With having to use steel is it still worth while to buy a 2 3/4 gun?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

2 3/4 gun will work, although most modern guns are made in 3''. Might be easier to just get a 3'' gun as most steel sold today is 3''.

Get a 3" Gun. It will be way more versitile in the end. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.

2 3/4 has probably killed more birds than any other size shot so it is still a great option. However is is much easier to find 3 inch thaN 2 3/4 now a days. If you have the option I would recommend going with 3 but there is nothing wrong with 2 3/4

Get 3.5. Even more versatile

i would not not buy a 2 3/4 unless there was something really special about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by k-dawg View Post
    I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have seen some used that are chambered 2 3/4.
    i would like to use it for ducks, geese, target. An all purpose gun. With having to use steel is it still worth while to buy a 2 3/4 gun?

Thanks
    If you buy a side by side over under or single shot, make sure it has an ejector not just an extractor which can be a pain in the neck.
    Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Right now the only thing that is readily avail for ammo is 2 3/4" aside from the fancy blackcloud and HeviShot stuff. If you're not skybustin 2 3/4" is plenty to kill with.

That said, if the shotgun is a 2 3/4" chamber the bigger thing you would want to look at before making your decision is, does it have a fixed choke? Typically the vast majority (that I see anyways) of 2 3/4" chambered shotguns that are for sale are a fixed choke which is less than ideal, especially if it is a fixed full choke. Now of course you could get you could get you gunsmith to reem it or fit it with a poly choke, but by the time you do that you're probably nearing the price of a new shotgun.

My 2cents would be unless it's a smoking deal or has some sort of personal meaning and has a either changeable chokes or a fixed skeet choke, I'd probably buy a 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Beat me to it Kyle, check the choke However you can have it threaded for chokes reasonably or just reamed out. BUT by the time you get the gun and have the work done you can buy a lower end pump gun for the same money with chokes and in 3". To address the OPs question though 2 3/4 will definitely get the job done here are 2 limits to prove it both with #4 2 3/4 SuperX

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Get a 3" Gun. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.
    BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
    D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks??? My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.