Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Not sure what role lead plays in this.
    You asked which has more pellets an ounce of #2 shot in a 2 3/4" or 3".
    It will always have the same number of pellets regardless of what material it was made of or what shotgun shell it's put into.
    It's like asking what weighs more a ton of bricks, or a ton of feathers.
    A ton is a ton.
    Makes sense?

You did get a definitive answer from field marshall.

Keep the teasers coming
    Well aren't you the smarty pants, but I'm sure I said 1 1/8oz, obviously an ounce is an ounce, but I never said that! Yer wrong, sorry! K

Quote Originally Posted by k-dawg View Post
    Wow so much awesome information.
    So here is what I'm getting out of this conversation.
    1. 2 3/4 is a good choice and will kill ducks. Only buy if it's a killer deal.
    2. 3 inch is the modern length of chamber and will provide versatility of shells (2 3/4 & 3")
    3. 3 1/2 is good for looking manly and a sore shoulder... A bit overkill.

Now here is another question for all of you folks.

What guns do you like and or use... Semi or pump? Your reason for using? Keep in mind I'm asking because I don't know squat. Also any suggestions on guns for the budget conscious.
    I use a Semi Auto, though if i had some more money or could do it over again id buy a O/U. I like the Class of the O/U s well it would be nice on the Trap range.
    I found that the semi aloud me to stay on sight for a second bird. The third Shell in the Semi i have rarely used but if you are a good decoy guy i bet it might get used a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Here's a tough one for ya, what has more pellets, 2 3/4" #2 shot in a 1 1/8oz or the same load in a 3" shell? Put yer thinking caps on and no googling! K
    If some one can tell me which weighs more a Ton of feathers or Ton of lead I will be able to calculate the exact answer.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Interesting dialogue, the big killer for me was the switch to steel from lead. I had no problem shooting 2 3/4 in 1 3/8 #4 back in the lead days and as there were not that many geese then except waveys it was not a problem. The switch to steel created quite a conundrum as the early steel shells were not that good and to at least get close to the lead performance you had to go to 3". That being said the loads NOW are quite superior to the early steel loads with the increased velocity which is the key to steel.Now would I buy a 2 3/4 " 12 gauge probably not. The versatility of the 3" imho outways the price differance. In the early days of steel (dating myself here) the Ithaca 10 gauge was the choice of many ,the 3.5" was developed to answer that ,now I believe standard 3" loads are as good as anything.The second point is 2 3/4 are still a great load for ducks yes they are I shoot a 20 g. at ducks but for a one gun hunter the 3" is the best choice .my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I had no problem shooting 2 3/4 in 1 3/8 #4 back in the lead days and as there were not that many geese then except waveys it was not a problem. l
    1 3/8oz of #4's, home loads dad got from a guy at Omark industries was our favourite too! Ahhhh lead.....

sorry reminiscing

kent makes a 2 3/4" - 1 1/4oz that goes 1315fps that I love in #3's, hard to get. I don't shoot 12 much anymore since I buggered my shoulder....

Anyone have any experience with these guns
    Maverick 88
    Mossberg 500
    Mossberg 930 semi
    rem has the 870
    weatherby sa08 semi
    weatherby pa08

I have Mossberg 535 waterfowl.
    I like Mossberg's safety because I'm a lefty.
    Once concern I've heard is aluminum receiver wears out over the long haul.
    870 is on old reliable.
    If you can swing it, go for the semi.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by k-dawg View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these guns
    Maverick 88
    Mossberg 500
    Mossberg 930 semi
    rem has the 870
    weatherby sa08 semi
    weatherby pa08
    As previously mentioned a ton of experience with both the Mav 88 and the Rem 870. If you're a lefty you should also look at the BPS, it's a bottom eject which is a nice feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

My wife has an SA08 20 ga, I shoot it for ducks as well, great gun cycles flawlessly, handles well, nothing but good to say about it. I have also had a few 870s the older Wing Master are great guns the Express are hit and miss on quality.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 01-07-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Mossberg 835, BPS, 870 are the pumps i have hunted.
    835 was too heavy and it is similar to the 500 as i remember, with Mossberg watch the weight. The 88 is a lighter Gun amd 303Brit seems to do well woth it!
    870 Ran 2-3/4" beautifully but the Hulls sometimes hung up on 3" loads
    BPS was the best of them all, have a look at it. I know its not on your list but it should be looked at. It was also easier to police your empties they landed at your feet and not in the grass off to the side.

Cant speak on the rest.
    just so you know as well... i hunted them all extensivly for Upland birds.... untill i got my 20Ga.