Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Hybrid View

2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have seen some used that are chambered 2 3/4.
    i would like to use it for ducks, geese, target. An all purpose gun. With having to use steel is it still worth while to buy a 2 3/4 gun?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

2 3/4 gun will work, although most modern guns are made in 3''. Might be easier to just get a 3'' gun as most steel sold today is 3''.

Get a 3" Gun. It will be way more versitile in the end. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Get a 3" Gun. A 2-3/4" will do it all for sure,,, But a 3" will do it better.
    BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    BS, a 2 3/4" will do everything you need to do. I shoot a 3" now, but grew up using a 2 3/4". Use how to shoot it and it will work fine.
    D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks??? My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    D6 Dan you aren't going to convince the "Know it alls" about the 2 3/4" bores. It never ceases to amaze me how "Experts" like 835 who admits he doesn't know squat about waterfowling freely give advice on some shit they read in a book?? It is my own belief it is way overkill to use anything more than a 20 bore for poor little ducks??? My 2cents worth on this beaten to death subject!!---Cheers--- and straight shooting---Field Marshal.
    Thanks Tony. Nice to know there's a few of us that still know what works. Happy New year!

Edit: I should have said" learn how to shoot it".
    Last edited by d6dan; 12-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    So you used to shoot 2 3/4" but now shoot 3" and call BS on someone liking the 3" better?
    Is there logic to this?
    Or you just don't like the guy?

Shotguns are not just for shooting ducks. Say you need to blow someone's brains out. 3.5" will do it more effectively (Just guessing).
    Regardless, 3" gun will do 2 3/4" too and you know 2 3/4" gun will not do 3" loads (without inflicting pain to yourself)
    There is versatility.
    3.5" is not worth the extra money.
    Some say it's much better to have the 3 1/2 capability and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    The others say with 2 3/4" you just become a better shooter.
    But it's really all about cost/opportunity.
    2 3/4" has been doing business for a long time and more importantly it will be around for a long time.

Here is an article that might be interesting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm
    Last edited by adriaticum; 01-03-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen View Post
    I know 835 has posted up countless big waterfowl kills on here that were only thanks to his 3" mag ......ohhhh wait a minute ...let me check my notes......O.K. Here we go 835 has posted up absolutely nothing to solidify a vote for a 3" gun...so you can take his word for it and if you don't believe him you can ask adriaticum

What is it with you?
    this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
    I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
    Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

and yep you got a rise out of me.

What is it with you?
    this is a forum to give advice on. it is not only a place for you self proclaimed super star know it alls.
    I fully aggree you know more then me but WTF? How do you think you got where you are huh? by learning. in my opinion a 3" is better then a 2-3/4, and i gave it.

no i dont have any big duck hunts to show,,,, in my life i have hit a limit once. And im not shy to tell people that so they know where im coming from.
    Good thing there is you guys out there to help us unknowing out,,, or id just go on thinking i know everything. And id bet all you shoot guns that have a 3" chamber weather you shoot 2-3/4" or not.

Don't give advice if you don't know what you are talking about. If you can't play in the sandbox with the guys who do know what they are talking about then go on BSBC where you seem to be some kind of STAR!!!---Cheers---Field Marshal.
    P.S. I don't shoot 3''!!!

What is it with you?

Yeah you are right.....my duck gun is a 16 gauge 870 it kicks ass with the 3" shells I just have a hard time finding them.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER