Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow vs crossbow vs rifle

Re: Bow vs crossbow vs rifle

To each their own, and great to have options especially for those who physically can't use a compound, or are simply more comfortable and confident with a crossbow. I think the biggest advantage of the crossbow over the compound is the minimizing of motion. The biggest challenge with the compound is having to pick the right time to draw the compound un-detected, and often times having to hold at full draw for what feels like forever for him to take that one more step. Of course this adds to the challenge and the thrill I think. Either way, whatever floats your boat... they are all legal so enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    For me, my choice to purchase a re-curve crossbow was simple. I could not draw back a compound bow (more than a few times) because of a damaged rotator cuff.
    And it allowed me to hunt 10 days sooner and later in to December.

Now I will throw this back at ALL gun hunters.

If you think compound or crossbows are not right...then center fire long arms should be banned and only black powder be allowed.

It is a slippery slope we walk when we choose to say one is superior over another.
    Virtually no gun hunters are opposed to crossbow use. The opposition almost always comes from elitist bow hunters.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Virtually no gun hunters are opposed to crossbow use. The opposition almost always comes from elitist bow hunters.
    I agree. I think it comes to each person's approach to hunting, but at the same time those self-righteous should mind their own business if the animal is properly harvested and doesn't end showing up in parts with arrow decorations in their rear quarters. Who cares what one uses, if the actual hunter will be responsible enough not to take the shot if s/he's not confident about it.

All men in my family have rifles, I'm the only one that archery grew on and it's a personal choice. I love the silence, the stalking, the "personal" feeling you get while stalking your animal.

At the same time, I have rifles and shotguns, so if I'm hunting with family, the bow stays home. I really dislike this "vs" discussions all over the place, it all boils down to responsible animal harvesting, as long as regulations allow it, who cares what one uses vs the vast majority. Someone was mentioning a spear , why not, if you're man enough to dump the animal with a spear your drinks are on me when we meet.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Isn't it illegal to harvest deer with a spear/knife/sword?

i'm surprised that the most talked about issue from that article is hunting with a crossbow vs trad bow. I think there was a bigger point to the story. people are getting caught up in the hype of all the new technology, they are missing the point of why we hunt, and the respect we have for the animals we hunt. does the technology we posses give an unfair advantage?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I've been shooting a Weatherby cartridge for over 25 years now.......that's a long time to have the advantage !
    7-6.5 PRCW the best cartridge since the 280 Ackley 👍

Who cares about the method a guy uses to deliver a sharp stick into a critter? It's all short range stuff and challenging... What I'd like to see is for the archery season to be re-named "primitive weapons season" and you can use a bow, crossbow, or traditional side lock muzzle loader with iron sights...flintlock or percussion.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggle View Post
    Isn't it illegal to harvest deer with a spear/knife/sword?
    I think it is in BC, not sure, I was using it as a figure of speech. Kind of sick and tired of the antagonistic debate of "this vs that" when the point of hunting is conservation first, and getting your meat on the table as humanely as possible second. Who cares the tools one is using as long as regulations allow it.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Spears are legal. So is a knife but hardly practical.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I am going to use a spear this coming elk season. A spear fired out of my 338 Lapua.