Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting on a trap line

Re: Hunting on a trap line

Quote Originally Posted by #1fishslayer View Post
    Im not talking about sitting on his bait calling. This was a the beginning of a snowed in road.....and im going in.
    Only mentioned it because with some people these days they would not take the consideration to give it space

Folks I run a 3 day 4 day trap check. All my sets are killing sets. I do work well with the Outfitter in my area and keep him informed as to where the area where my sets are. As well I will leave my card on a windshield of a vehicle that has a dog box with my contact numbers on it so that I can inform them the area of trap sets. Setting up over a snare station for a cat in my books is not ethical or respectful to me as a trapper. Shooting off a snare station is literally taking the bread and butter out of my families mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Folks I run a 3 day 4 day trap check. All my sets are killing sets. I do work well with the Outfitter in my area and keep him informed as to where the area where my sets are. As well I will leave my card on a windshield of a vehicle that has a dog box with my contact numbers on it so that I can inform them the area of trap sets. Setting up over a snare station for a cat in my books is not ethical or respectful to me as a trapper. Shooting off a snare station is literally taking the bread and butter out of my families mouth
    Pete good on you for informing others where your sets etc are the majority of trappers I in counter are not willing to do so. I hear you about ethics etc as well but the OP was talking about a cougar which are not even allowed to be trapped.

Like I said I stumbled across it. I've no intention of sitting on his bait and calling. That being said its an undisturbed road up the mountain. Will his trap line follow the road ? Will it wander off. Gotta remember I picked this place to call cause it looked like a good set up.....not cause I want to take away from anyone's table. I thought it was cool to find. Kept looking g for Marty and the helicopters lol
    You just gotta be smarter than the tool your working with

Is there a web site showing all trap lines ???
    You just gotta be smarter than the tool your working with

Quote Originally Posted by #1fishslayer View Post
    Is there a web site showing all trap lines ???
    All of BC is subdivided into traplines and yes there is a map, computer accessible, somewhere in the government programs. The simple fact is that anywhere you are hunting generally between Oct and end of May you may possibly encounter trapping activity.

Most trappers set their baits up just off the roads, so you will likely encounter more the further up the rd you go. They can not trap cougar so I wouldn't be worried about setting up your calling near one of his bait stations.

Cougars are a pain...We do everything to minimize or catches on cougar.... As was correctly stated we are not allowed to keep any cougars we catch and have to turn them in. With the loss of the Auction in PG many of these big Cats were just being tossed off the side of the road. THe BCTA has a program now where if we accidentally catch a cougar and under permit skin these cats out and send them to market with the proceeds going to the BCTA Trapper Education. Trappers do not receive any compensation for this. I have been extremely lucky over the years and only have caught one Cougar. I use BAD's Break Away Devises on all my snares which allows larger such as deer moose and cougars to escape. Not perfect but they do work.

Good on you Pete for notifying the Houndsmen like that. My pet peeve is the postings that are left up year round and are often 5-10 years old. It's too bad there isn't some sort of stipulation than requires current dates for the k9 killing trap postings and/or active trapline postings.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Good on you Pete for notifying the Houndsmen like that. My pet peeve is the postings that are left up year round and are often 5-10 years old. It's too bad there isn't some sort of stipulation than requires current dates for the k9 killing trap postings and/or active trapline postings.
    In the area I hunt the trapper does put up signs saying active k9 trapping to keep your dogs on a leash good on him for doing this..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..